Loading problems on Vista 64bit following Hibernate. RRS feed

• Question

• Heya, I'm running Vista 64bit on e5200 (260x12.5=3.25 on 3.6v), gygabite ep35, 4GB of G.Skill.

Summary of my problem:

So first time I've tried the Hibernate feature and it had some nasty consequences; system froze up and when i tried to reset, wouldn't even load the boot options (I'm running Vista/XP both on ntfs).

What it DID do was displaying the boot options for a split second, then launching into the above message:

acpi

Vista loader 2.1.2

Done

Fallback 1

find a -set -root /bootmgr

(hd0,0)

filesystem type is ntfs partition type is 0x7

chainloader /bootmgr

will boot NTLDR from drive - 0x80 partition 0x0 (hidden sectors=0x3f)

which in turn, was refreshed by:

Trap 00000030 ===== Exception

followed by more, seemingly random numbers (can copy and post them up if needed) and system halt.

Now I'm completly confused- I've reset my cpu to stock speed (2.5ghz) and everything worked fine.. going by trial and error, it seems like anything above 255x12.5 is giving me this error and fail to load bootscreen/ vista (computer itself loads fine and was tested for 24/7 stability on my previous settings of 260x12.5 (3.25ghz)).

I'm pretty sure all this was caused by trying Hibernate Stick out tongue But beyond the option of defective memory manifesting itself after hibernate, I'm clueless. Gonna run Memtest but meanwhile posting this incase it ain't the memory and there's a rather simple explanation/solution I'm missing.

Would like to have more information about that specific error as well, couldnt find any direct relations through search engines.

Thanks ahead,

Shaun.

CPU
    E5200 @ 3.25ghz
    Motherboard
    EP35-DS3L
    Memory
    G.Skill 2x2GB
    Graphics Card
    Sapphire HD 4850
    Hard Drive
    WD 6400AAKS
    Sound Card
    Onboard
    Power Supply
    Antec EW 430w
    Case
    Thermaltake M9
    CPU cooling
    Arctic Freezer 7 Pro
    GPU cooling
    Stock
    OS
    Vista
    Monitor
    Samsung 2253BW

Saturday, October 11, 2008 6:04 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This behavior can be caused by several reasons. I suggest that you remove the existed Hibernate cache first. Please run Command Prompt as administrator, and then enter the following commands. Please press Enter after each line.

powercfg -h off

powercfg -h on

If the issue still occurs, the ACPI of your BIOS may be not compatible with Windows Vista. Please try to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version.

This issue can also be caused by software confliction when you launch Hibernate. Please temporary disable the anti-virus, and then try to Hibernate again.

If the issue still occurs, this issue may be related to certain hardware drivers. Please open Event Log, from the Windows Logs/System check the error message related to Kernel-Power check whether there is any clue.

Additionally, please let me know if the Hibernate function of the Windows XP system works fine.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:48 AM

All replies

• Update:

1. Ran Windows Memory Test Thingie- no problems found.

2. Used Disk Cleaner to delete Hibernate Image

Still same: Loads fine at anything below 255x12.5 and same annoying errors for my previously tested 260x12.5

:/

Clarification: this thread is not about overclocking! There's a problem caused by using hibernate..  and now something is wrong with the way my NTLDR behaves under certain settings, wtb help ^^

Saturday, October 11, 2008 6:48 PM
  • Hi,

This behavior can be caused by several reasons. I suggest that you remove the existed Hibernate cache first. Please run Command Prompt as administrator, and then enter the following commands. Please press Enter after each line.

powercfg -h off

powercfg -h on

If the issue still occurs, the ACPI of your BIOS may be not compatible with Windows Vista. Please try to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version.

This issue can also be caused by software confliction when you launch Hibernate. Please temporary disable the anti-virus, and then try to Hibernate again.

If the issue still occurs, this issue may be related to certain hardware drivers. Please open Event Log, from the Windows Logs/System check the error message related to Kernel-Power check whether there is any clue.

Additionally, please let me know if the Hibernate function of the Windows XP system works fine.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 7:48 AM