SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 or 2 matrix for MOSS 2007 SP2 (12.0.0.6554) RRS feed

• Question

• Is SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 or 2 supported for version of MOSS 2007 SP2 (12.0.0.6554)? The below is what I found at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262485(v=office.12).aspx however, it does not specifically say which Service Pack is supported.

"Office SharePoint Server 2007 also supports SQL Server 2008 R2. Ensure that you have installed Office SharePoint Server 2007 with Service Pack 2 (SP2) or later."

Please advise.

Thanks.

Monday, April 8, 2013 8:01 PM

Answers

• Sorry, I misread your question and didn't notice you were asking whether SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 is supported.

While it is not explicitly stated, my assumption (by which I mean my guess) is SP2 is supported. I base this assumption that the latest service pack of a product is typically the primary supported version. That there isn't specific instructions (e.g. you need to install SharePoint SP3) says to me that it is supported with SharePoint SP2 or later.

Of course I could be entirely wrong. I'm sent in some feedback on that TechNet article, hopefully it will be updated with support information for SP2.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Monday, April 8, 2013 10:12 PM

All replies

• Yes, SQL Server 2008 R2 SP1 is supported, you require SharePoint 2007 SP2. For a new installation you'll have to slipstream SP2 into your media before (that link is for SP2010 but applies to SP2007 as well).

There's a lot of content on that page, maybe you you missed this:

SP2 – Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 with Service Pack 2 (SP2) is supported on Windows Server 2008 R2 with Service Pack 1 (SP1). You must create a slipstreamed installation source for Office SharePoint Server 2007. This installation source must include the files from both Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 with Service Pack 1 (SP1) and Office SharePoint Server 2007 with SP1. For more information about how to use the updates folder to create a slipstreamed source, see Create an installation source that includes software updates (Office SharePoint Server 2007).

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Monday, April 8, 2013 8:13 PM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for such a quick response. It sounds like since I am currently running SharePoint 2007 SP2 the only supported Service Pack for SQL Server 2008 R2 is SP1.

Thanks.

Monday, April 8, 2013 8:52 PM
  • Sorry, I misread your question and didn't notice you were asking whether SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 is supported.

While it is not explicitly stated, my assumption (by which I mean my guess) is SP2 is supported. I base this assumption that the latest service pack of a product is typically the primary supported version. That there isn't specific instructions (e.g. you need to install SharePoint SP3) says to me that it is supported with SharePoint SP2 or later.

Of course I could be entirely wrong. I'm sent in some feedback on that TechNet article, hopefully it will be updated with support information for SP2.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Monday, April 8, 2013 10:12 PM
  • Hi,

I agree with Jason. SharePoint 2007 SP2 should be supported with SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2. If this helps, please mark Jason’s reply as answer.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, April 9, 2013 2:17 AM