none
Windows SteadyState 2.6 - Wish List RRS feed

• General discussion

• Welcome to Windows Logon Screen with discrete identification of WSS Disk Protection Status

Registry Keys Updated with usefull information, such  as Disk Protection Status

SCTUI Full Command Line Management

Thursday, June 12, 2008 5:15 PM

All replies

•  

Thank you for your suggestion, Daniel. We will forward your valuable suggestion to our product team.

Monday, June 16, 2008 6:18 AM
  • Added item to Wish List.

Having a timed Log off when idle or just timed and even a restart is excellent.

What would be nice is to add Log Off, Restart or shut down at (specific Time say 5:30PM).  I work in an environment where users leave apps running & documents open. Due to this problem some critical data does not get backed up.

At least on a shutdown or reboot everything will be closed.  As far as saving opened & unsaved documents, that is a different issue to address.

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 2:57 PM
  • Make it fully AD aware with seamless integration with Domain Enivronments!

Tuesday, August 26, 2008 1:52 PM
  • Machine registry exclusion. Usefull in seting autologons.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 2:56 PM
  • Allow updates to run at other times besides "on-the-hour" (say, selections are at 15 minute intervals as opposed to the 1-hour intervals now)
    Wednesday, November 19, 2008 5:12 PM
  • To be able to set the home page with ease because for the life of me I can not get it to work Sad .

Friday, November 21, 2008 3:27 PM
  • Have a control center componet to simplify "off schedule" updates

Techmologist
    Friday, February 20, 2009 10:07 PM
  • Allow it to shut down the computer when idle for XXX time, forced shutdown so that no matter what applications are running the computer will power down. I don't care if things get saved or not, that's the user's problem. At least run a script if idle for XXX time. Trying to save power and extend the life of the computer fans, as well as make sure the students log out.

Better integration with Active Directory sounds good too, maybe be able to manage all Steady State computers joined to a domain from a single server.

Allow an Enterprise download so that Steady State will not keep trying to check on the web to see if the computer is genuine, none of our computers are allowed to connect to the internet. All of our computer on part of a Select plan, just like most colleges.

Updates that are not on the hour do sound like a good idea, there are far too many other things that happen right on the top of the hour.

Native support for Grisoft AVG anti-virus software, they provide a script but I haven't checked it out yet.

I'm sure I will have a few more things as I get back to dealing with this software, this is just the start.
    Friday, February 20, 2009 10:21 PM
  • Would it be possible to add a choice for cache placement when disk protection is used?
    IE could SteadyState use a cache disk away from the OS partition or master disk?

Reason for asking is Steadystate is a great tool for converting random writes to sequential on a hard drive...which helps MLC SSD a great deal and can expand the life of these drives. It also adds 25%+ performance in file transfer/copy speeds.
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 1:02 AM
  • ocztony said:

Would it be possible to add a choice for cache placement when disk protection is used?
    IE could SteadyState use a cache disk away from the OS partition or master disk?

Reason for asking is Steadystate is a great tool for converting random writes to sequential on a hard drive...which helps MLC SSD a great deal and can expand the life of these drives. It also adds 25%+ performance in file transfer/copy speeds.

I second this suggestion.  Massively helpful given that seperating I/O associated with general OS read operations versus writes would help sooo much for not just SSD users, but spinny platter drive users as well.  Seriously guys, seriously.

Also, 64 bit support as well please.  It's laughable that it wasn't in there to begin with.
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 11:59 PM
  • Features and Options to have in 2.6 (or whatever the next version is):

* Ability to move the cache file from the protected partition to a non-protected partition or drive.

* Allow the user to change the recommended cache size WHILE or BEFORE turning on Disk Protection.  It's inconvenient to change after the initial restart.  This wastes time and is not user friendly.

* Ability to change between "Remove All Changes at Restart" and "Retain Changes Temporarily" WITHOUT losing protection and requiring the restart.  For example, a user currently has "Remove All Changes at Restart" enabled, but he would like to keep the system protected for another 1 week.  But he has just installed an important software that requires a restart to work.  Now, if he changes to "Retain Changes Temporarily," then the user is forced to restart.  Doing so discard all changes that the user only wants to keep for another 1 week. 

* If possible, allow the ability to move among THREE options without restarting, and having the new option applicable immediately.

* It's unclear whether turning OFF disk protection commit the changes permanently.  I turned ON disk protection with "Remove All Changes at Restart" chosen.  I then later turned it off since it's no longer needed.  Upon booting up, I get the message below:

Windows Disk Protection is committing changes, please wait...

Is it actually committing the changes when disk protection is turned OFF?  If so, I was not warned of this case.  There're legitimate reasons to have all changes discarded when disk protection is turned OFF depending on the option chosen.  WSS should be absolutely clear that turning OFF disk protection would commit changes permanently.  Or better yet, ask the user if he wants to commit or discard all changes.  What I think is that turning OFF disk protection actually discard changes.  If that's what turning OFF disk protection actually does, then the boot-up message is inconsistent with its action.  It should be discarding changes and not committing changes.
    Thursday, February 26, 2009 12:43 AM

To add to this, perhaps it maybe practical to have a console that could help relocate some of the AD-Related system files that resides in the workstations and needs propery updating.  Seemingly, some of the AD-related system files or security option in using GP in AD is either conflicting or over-riding.  Having a console is just a plus for this one...
    Thursday, July 9, 2009 7:10 AM

I also agree with this.  To specify a bit further, it would be amazing to have something that allows the Domain Admin to view, enable/disable WDP, and do a restart/commit all connected computers.  This would be very handy for pushing specialized updates/AI packages.
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 5:09 PM

I also agree with this.  To specify a bit further, it would be amazing to have something that allows the Domain Admin to view, enable/disable WDP, and do a restart/commit all connected computers.  This would be very handy for pushing specialized updates/AI packages.
    What about if you're just in a WORKGROUP?! Not all of us have a server or are in a domain. A console would also be great for those to remotely administer WSS and push updates, and allow an admin to disable WSS to remotely install a new program, or update currently installed ones.

Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 3:36 PM

What about if you're just in a WORKGROUP?! Not all of us have a server or are in a domain. A console would also be great for those to remotely administer WSS and push updates, and allow an admin to disable WSS to remotely install a new program, or update currently installed ones.

Very true; I'm currently running a workgrouped library computer lab, so I concede that the same level of control should be accessible to both Workgroup and Domain administrators. 

I rallied for the Domain level control in my previous post because I've been experimenting with WSS on a Domain (the library administrator wants us on a domain by next year so I'm trying to get prepared).

Regardless, the idea is clear - we need the ability to remotely control multiple WSS computers.

-Ron
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 5:40 PM

Very true; I'm currently running a workgrouped library computer lab, so I concede that the same level of control should be accessible to both Workgroup and Domain administrators. 

I rallied for the Domain level control in my previous post because I've been experimenting with WSS on a Domain (the library administrator wants us on a domain by next year so I'm trying to get prepared).

Regardless, the idea is clear - we need the ability to remotely control multiple WSS computers.

-Ron

Ron,
         Yep, totally agree. Although I wouldn't want to be in your shoes if you're the one administering the server. I get so lost with how MS has set up their AD hierarchical structure and their nomenclature is so frustrating!! What a pain to manage. Even reading "good" books on Microsoft Windows Server 2008RC2 and AD leave me baffled.

Why can't they just set it up where you are sitting at the server, click on windows explorer, let's say, and you can see all the machines on the network, and all you need to do is right-click on a pc you want, and choose whatever command you want to do e.g. lock down permissions, install software, etc... This whole root directory name path or whatever its called is so confusing... Powerful, absolutely; correct, yes, easy to manage? Not so much.

Ok I'm done venting now   :D
    Thursday, July 30, 2009 7:02 PM
  • Good as it is. I only wish for Windows 7 AND 64 bit compatibility, please!
    Saturday, October 31, 2009 11:25 AM