none
Errors in the Event view about Claims based Authentication. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have just upgraded my Portal Server 2003 environment using 2 step Database Attach upgrade method. I am using Windows based NTLM authentication. I have everything configured and working correctly. Whats bothering me is errors in event viewer.ex below :

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-SharePoint Products-SharePoint Foundation
    Date:          10/15/2011 5:45:53 PM
    Event ID:      8306
    Task Category: Claims Authentication
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:     
    User:          HQ\
    Computer:      SXXXXXXXXX
    Description:
    An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: There was no endpoint listening at http://localhost:32843/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/securitytoken.svc/actas that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details..
    Event Xml:
    <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
      <System>
        <Provider Name="Microsoft-SharePoint Products-SharePoint Foundation" Guid="{6FB7E0CD-52E7-47DD-997A-241563931FC2}" />
        <EventID>8306</EventID>
        <Version>14</Version>
        <Level>2</Level>
        <Task>47</Task>
        <Opcode>0</Opcode>
        <Keywords>0x4000000000000000</Keywords>
        <TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-10-15T21:45:53.440429600Z" />
        <EventRecordID>6540</EventRecordID>
        <Correlation ActivityID="{CBD70A97-4140-4E98-A7F6-6792C1732D62}" />
        <Execution ProcessID="1720" ThreadID="2040" />
        <Channel>Application</Channel>
        <Computer>ShareXX.XX.XXX.XXX</Computer>
        <Security UserID="S-1-5-21-2197729727-42080388-846556126-8174" />
      </System>
      <EventData>
        <Data Name="string0">There was no endpoint listening at http://localhost:32843/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/securitytoken.svc/actas that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action. See InnerException, if present, for more details.</Data>
      </EventData>
    </Event>

-----------

Point is, that I do not have Claims based authentication set up, so I dont quite know the reason for those errors. Also, under Service Applications, there is a service aplication named Security Token Service Application... It doesnt have any service application proxy associated, so i think that aint needed.. any ideas? I have a feeling somehow the forms based or claims based authentication got enabled and thats how i am seeing what i am seeing.

functionality wise everything looks good though.. Thanks for the help!

Saturday, October 15, 2011 9:54 PM

Answers

• Hi foolspadmin,

According to the message "An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: There was no endpoint listening at http://localhost:32843/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/securitytoken.svc/actas that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action", we can know the end point of the Security Token service is not found.

The issue is generally caused by the service application is not provision, and the application pool for the service application is not running.

To fix the issue, please follow these steps:

1. Open Internet Information Manager(IIS) by typing inetmgr from Run
    2. Go to "Application Pools" by selecting "Application Pools" from the Connections panel
    3. Select "SecurityTokenServiceApplicationPool", ensure its status is "Start", ".Net Framework version" is 2.0, and "Managed Pipeline Mode" is "Integrated"
    4. After that, open "SharePoint 2010 Management Shell"(All Programs > Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Products)
    5. Run the following command:
      $sts = Get-SPServiceApplication | ?{$_ -match "Security"}
      $sts.Status
      $sts.Provision()

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jinchun Chen
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff AT microsoft.com(Please replace AT with @)
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Tuesday, November 1, 2011 5:31 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:17 AM

All replies

• Seems that he had the same issue as you -, http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/eu/sharepoint2010setup/thread/85c1cc49-1dd9-430a-b74e-b3d60d47f7cf

And his answare:

I had the opportunity to talk to someone on the share point team at Microsoft. When I asked how to get it working they said "the only people who are using Federated services in the industry is the internal federated service team." He said to keep it simple:

1. Stand up a new forest/domain

2. Enable a one way trust between the internal forest and the new forest.

3. All accounts that would have been serviced by FS will live in the external domain.

Downside, is having to redo any complex GPOs that exist in the internal domain to the external domain. Added administration of new forest.

Upside not having to call MS on how to get this fixed, dealing with bugs/patches since the end user is QA. Two factor Auth can be implemented easily since using a standard config, ____ all sorts of plugins will work since this is a standard install.

Cordialement, Met vriendelijke groeten, Gokan Ozcifci - SharePoint Infrastructure Consultant ( wants to be microsoft community contributor )
    Sunday, October 16, 2011 11:35 AM
  • Hi foolspadmin,

According to the message "An exception occurred when trying to issue security token: There was no endpoint listening at http://localhost:32843/SecurityTokenServiceApplication/securitytoken.svc/actas that could accept the message. This is often caused by an incorrect address or SOAP action", we can know the end point of the Security Token service is not found.

The issue is generally caused by the service application is not provision, and the application pool for the service application is not running.

To fix the issue, please follow these steps:

1. Open Internet Information Manager(IIS) by typing inetmgr from Run
    2. Go to "Application Pools" by selecting "Application Pools" from the Connections panel
    3. Select "SecurityTokenServiceApplicationPool", ensure its status is "Start", ".Net Framework version" is 2.0, and "Managed Pipeline Mode" is "Integrated"
    4. After that, open "SharePoint 2010 Management Shell"(All Programs > Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Products)
    5. Run the following command:
      $sts = Get-SPServiceApplication | ?{$_ -match "Security"}
      $sts.Status
      $sts.Provision()

If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,
    Jinchun Chen

Jinchun Chen
    Forum Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff AT microsoft.com(Please replace AT with @)
    • Marked as answer by Emir Liu Tuesday, November 1, 2011 5:31 AM
    Monday, October 17, 2011 9:17 AM
  • I am getting this error in my SharePoint 2013 environment, will this fix work for SP 2013?
    Friday, October 2, 2015 2:20 PM