Taskbar Volume Control - Incorrect Placement RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

My sound control panel pops up in the incorrect position on my screen when I attempt to change the volume via the taskbar on Windows 7.  I do have two monitors (this may or may not affect it, but it's worth providing this information I guess).

Here is a screenshot of the issue:  http://prntscr.com/2ibi2

I have all updates for this version of Windows 7.

Attempted Resolutions:

-  Disable monitors to only one monitor.
    -  Change main monitor.
    -  Update sound driver.
    -  Restore default icon behaviors.
    -  Disable and enable sound icon.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 3:17 AM

All replies

• When you right-click the desktop, select screen resolution are you using the recommended resolution?

Have you changed icons and text to a larger size?

It appears that the volume control is fixed and it is out of position. Changing the above could cause that to happen.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 12:39 PM
  • Yes, I am using the recommended resolution.

No, I have not changed the icons/text to a larger size.

Wednesday, August 3, 2011 8:50 PM
  • Sorry, I have no idea what could cause that to move it's location.

Create a new standard user and observe the location of the control. You can easily delete the user account when you are done testing. That will tell you if the current user profile is corrupted.

You can also test using the clean boot method. Perhaps that would identify if an app is the cause.

Perhaps something is strange with the display adapter.

Go into device manager, uninstall it, and then reboot the computer and let Windows find the display adapter and automatically install it.

Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:04 PM
  • Sadly, the problem was fixed once I created a new user account.  I also saw that on other accounts that were already existing on this computer have the same problem.

What are my options at this point?

Thursday, August 4, 2011 12:37 PM
  • I contacted my manufacturer and they suggested (as I thought) to create a new profile.  It seems silly to create a new profile (or profiles, since this occurs on all profiles on this computer), but issues like this are very annoying to me.

To me, it seems like creating a new profile and transferring documents should be a last resort.  Isn't there a way to replace the user preferences file (or whatever it's called) with a new one?  Perhaps if this is possible, it would just completely reset my preferences and settings along with the corrupted file (if it's really corrupted), without having to create a new profile and will allow me to keep my documents in tact?

Thursday, August 4, 2011 2:45 PM