How do you create a favorite location to the Save As window? RRS feed

• Question

• How do you create a favorite location to the Save As window?  I want to add D:\ Download folder as a shotcut/link to the list on the left so I don't have to continually go thru the tree for Computer>D:>>Downloads etc....  I also want to have the Save As windows open to the correct location as a default.  I have all of "My" folders on my D: drive.  I would like the Save As windows open to the root of the D: drive.
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit Internet Explorer v7 Office 2007 SP1 Home and Student Outlook 2007 Standalone ESET Smart Security
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 9:35 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Internet Explorer is the Web browser included with Vista. When you download information from the Internet, the default target directory is the ‘Documents’ folder. However, you may want to change the default download directory to a different folder or a different partition or hard drive. Doing so only requires a quick registry change.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Open the Registry Editor by clicking the Start button, typing regedit in the Search field and pressing Enter. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

Change the value of the “Download Directory” string to the new path you want Internet Explorer to use as the download directory (D:\ Download folder).

Close the Registry Editor; reboot the computer and then test the issue again.

Good Luck!

Andy

• Marked as answer by steviegt Thursday, April 23, 2009 10:46 AM
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:49 AM
  • Thank you.
    Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit Internet Explorer v7 Office 2007 SP1 Home and Student Outlook 2007 Standalone ESET Smart Security
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 10:45 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Internet Explorer is the Web browser included with Vista. When you download information from the Internet, the default target directory is the ‘Documents’ folder. However, you may want to change the default download directory to a different folder or a different partition or hard drive. Doing so only requires a quick registry change.

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

Open the Registry Editor by clicking the Start button, typing regedit in the Search field and pressing Enter. Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer

Change the value of the “Download Directory” string to the new path you want Internet Explorer to use as the download directory (D:\ Download folder).

Close the Registry Editor; reboot the computer and then test the issue again.

Good Luck!

Andy

Thursday, April 23, 2009 6:49 AM
  • Thank you.
    Thursday, April 23, 2009 10:45 AM