DPM2012 backing up 2008 R2 SP1 Data Cener Core Cluster (hosts + guests) Error 7031 Cluster Service Terminated Unexpectedly RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We are running the following setup:

Cluster:

• 2x HP Proliant DL385 G7's
    • Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Data Center Core
    • Hyper-V + Failover Clustering connected to the following CSV...

Storage:

• 1x HP MSA P2000 G3 SAN with SAS connectivity (multipath 2x HBAs per node)

Backup:

• DPM2012 running on a ProLiant DL385 G5 with its own HP StorageWorks 20TB shelf (D2700 I think) + a HP 1/8 Autoloader connected

We have the HP VSS installed and working, the builds were clean and fully patched as of: 20th Oct

The problem:

We've been experiancing Error "5121" from the FailoverClustering source under the system log, which according to this forum is normal and caused during the few seconds the VSS hardware writers take to snapshot using the MSA.

Last night however we experianced Error "7031" from the Service Control Manager source stating that "The Cluster Service service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).  The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart the service." The service restarted without issue, however the restart or hang of the service caused the guests which were hosted on this node to fail over and show as rebooted (not great). Has anyone else experianced this?

Just prior to this error I also had some Error's "1038" from FailoverClustering source stating that the Quorum disk in clustered service or application failed, which I've never had before, is this related?

I found KB975354 which had some similar issues, but not exactly and I wondered if it would help (however I couldn't date it to see if it had been rolled up in SP1 or another update).

P.S my reason for posting here is these errors only seem to occur during the backup window and mostly near the start of the backup.

Many thanks in advance.

Dan

• Moved by Mike JacquetMicrosoft employee Friday, November 2, 2012 12:03 AM move to windows clustering forum (From:Data Protection Manager - Hyper-V and CSV Clusters)
    Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:53 PM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

The Windows cluster team will need to help you with the cluster service crash and other cluster related errors / problems.  Moving to Windows cluster forum.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, November 2, 2012 12:02 AM
  • Hi,

Event ID 7031, Service Stop Operations is general error, no more information.

To resolve this issue, change the recovery actions that the Service Control Manager (SCM) will take when a service fails.

To perform this procedure, you must have membership in Administrators, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.

To change the recovery actions for a service:

1. Open the Services snap-in by clicking the Start button, Control Panel, and Administrative Tools, then double-clicking Services.

Note: For Windows Vista, use the Classic View display option in Control Panel to see the Administration Tools.

1. In the details pane of the Services snap-in, right-click on the name of the service you want to stop and select Properties.
    2. Click the Recovery tab and specify the recovery actions for the service (for example, restart the service or the computer, take no action, or run a program).

You may try above solution and give us feedback, provide us more detailed information (just like detailed log) for further troubleshooting.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

Event ID 7031 — Service Stop Operations
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756337(v=WS.10).aspx

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

Friday, November 2, 2012 8:02 AM
  • Hi Lawrence,

Thanks for your response, although it is a little puzzling since the service by default is set to restart on failure after 1 minute, which it did successfully. Therefore your suggestion does not actually resolve the underline cause of the crashed service or help me identify a resolution.

Please can someone help us identify the cause of the crash or let me know if we are likely to see it happen again?

Many thanks

Dan

Monday, November 5, 2012 10:22 AM