Mysterious Service Connection Point in Active Directory RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a Service Connection Point (SCP) in my Active Directory called Microsoft Exchange Online. Here is the DN:

CN=Microsoft Exchange Online,CN=Microsoft Exchange Autodiscover,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<domain>,DC=<tld>

The serviceBindingInformation is set to *.outlook.com. The SCP was created way back in 2011.

Anyone know what this is for?

I also have the "regular" Exchange CAS SCP which points to my internal Exchange server.

Thanks

Morgan

Monday, August 25, 2014 7:53 AM

Answers

• Perhaps someone was experimenting with Office 365 hybrid configuration for your organization? IIRC, that 2011 date is about the time that O365 was released.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Monday, August 25, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Hi Morgan,

I have checked in my Exchange environment. This SCP value also exists in CN=Microsoft Exchange Online,CN=Microsoft Exchange Autodiscover,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<domain>,DC=<tld> of my environment. This value is generally used for Exchange Online (Office 365) hybrid configuration. If there is no hybrid configuration in your environment, you can leave it alone.

Please just make sure the Keywords and ServiceBindingInformationService attributes in the Service Connection Point (SCP) object are configured correctly in your on-promises Exchange server. We can check it in the following location:

CN=<CAS_SERVER>,CN=Autodiscover,CN=Protocols,CN=<CAS_SERVER>,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=<ORG>,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<domain>,DC=<tld>

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:55 AM

All replies

• Perhaps someone was experimenting with Office 365 hybrid configuration for your organization? IIRC, that 2011 date is about the time that O365 was released.

--- Rich Matheisen MCSE&I, Exchange MVP

Monday, August 25, 2014 3:51 PM
  • Hi Morgan,

I have checked in my Exchange environment. This SCP value also exists in CN=Microsoft Exchange Online,CN=Microsoft Exchange Autodiscover,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<domain>,DC=<tld> of my environment. This value is generally used for Exchange Online (Office 365) hybrid configuration. If there is no hybrid configuration in your environment, you can leave it alone.

Please just make sure the Keywords and ServiceBindingInformationService attributes in the Service Connection Point (SCP) object are configured correctly in your on-promises Exchange server. We can check it in the following location:

CN=<CAS_SERVER>,CN=Autodiscover,CN=Protocols,CN=<CAS_SERVER>,CN=Servers,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=<ORG>,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<domain>,DC=<tld>

Regards,

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, August 26, 2014 8:55 AM