none
Prevent automatic restart after updates RRS feed

• Question

• Folks - I can't find the option to disable automatic restart. Instead, I want to be notified and have control of the restart. This article seems to suggest there is an option but when I go to advanced options, I only see options for 'give me updates for other microsoft products' & 'defer feature updates'

http://lifehacker.com/prevent-windows-10-from-automatically-restarting-your-p-1723647582

Any ideas?

Thanks

Wednesday, August 31, 2016 1:07 PM

All replies

• Hello msftrocks,

I think that his version of Windows 10 is newer than the article. You can try using registry key..

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
    Right-click on Windows and go to New > Key
    Name the key WindowsUpdate (no space)
    Right-click on the WindowsUpdate key and go to New > Key again
    Name the new key inside WindowsUpdate AU
    Open the AU key.
    Right-click in the right-pane and go to New > DWORD (32-bit) Value
    Name the new DWORD NoAutoRebootWithLoggedOnUsers.
    Double-click on the DWORD and change the 0 value to 1. Leave it as Hexadecimal.
    Reboot your computer.

Or you can schedule a time when the PC doesn't restart (always in update &security)

I hope will be a help!

Nicolas

• Edited by NickMartin89 Wednesday, August 31, 2016 1:50 PM Add text
    • Proposed as answer by NickMartin89 Wednesday, August 31, 2016 2:08 PM
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 1:47 PM
  • AU doesn't exist. I only get to to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    Wednesday, August 31, 2016 6:59 PM
  • Hi ,

I totally understand your feeling, it must cause you many inconvenience. Windows 10 is a new system, to enable user to get the latest security and feature updates, these updates will be pushed automatically, it cannot be stopped.

But we could setup a scheduled time to restart computer. Setup computer restart in a free time.
    First, choose ”Notify to schedule restart”  instead of automatic as showing blew.

Then, add a notification to scheduled auto-install. It will send us a message” Updates are downloaded, please scheduled to install”. There is an Event ID 41 recorded when an update was downloaded, we could use it as a trigger to create a task schedule to notify us. Please refer to the following link for detailed steps, see the marked answer.
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/60bca145-0024-406b-998e-da5338077ebf/notification-on-scheduled-updates?forum=win10itprogeneral

Lastly, schedule a restart time to install updates.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, September 1, 2016 2:33 AM
  • Wow, your excuse is 'windows 10 is a new system and automatic updates must be pushed'

That's quite crazy! I'm quite sure the community will force you to enable this feature

Thursday, September 8, 2016 12:16 AM
  • Hi ,

Have you tried all above methods?
    We should be able to setup a scheduled time to restart computer, please have a try and let us know the result.

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 9, 2016 7:39 AM
  • bump.

in the "Anniversary Update" edition of mine, there is no "Notify to schedule restart" option.

there is "Restart Option" but all is greyed out.

there is "Active Hours" but it forces me only 12 hours. what if my PC is active 24x7?

we need defered restarts so please reinstate it!

Sunday, September 25, 2016 9:58 AM
  • So basically you tell us we can use windows only 12 hours a day. So at least I want half of my money back! This is so annoying.
    Friday, September 30, 2016 11:48 AM
  • One would hope, but I think many have begun viewing Microsoft as so incompetent that they've just given up. Microsoft seems to have a very narrow perception on how computers are used. Either you use it a very specific way, or you can go pound sand.

And those that use it the very specific way see no problems with Microsoft's methods, which undermines any effort to force change.

Friday, September 30, 2016 7:36 PM
  • I'm wondering and am going to try being on a standard user account rather than admin account. Or maybe I'm confusing it with Macs, that you have to be on admin account for it to process updates? Or maybe I'm just really tired, of everything!

Once today, once yesterday, restarting w/o the prompts that used to be there.
    Like someone below I am also now missing "choose how updates are installed", or whatever that is, the ability to be notified the update's ready.

Hey are you aware that it used to be when you were on a train in China (perhaps it is still this way) authorities decided it was bedtime and it was *lights out* for everyone. Perhaps it doesn't strike a chord for others but seems relevant to me.

Thursday, April 13, 2017 4:23 AM
  • Hey are you aware that it used to be when you were on a train in China (perhaps it is still this way) authorities decided it was bedtime and it was *lights out* for everyone. Perhaps it doesn't strike a chord for others but seems relevant to me.

Or prison. Lights out at 9, for everyone, no exceptions, when I was in prison many years ago.
    Are we saying that Microsoft's specific settings for updates and computer restarts after updates are much like prison, in the sense that it is their way or no way?
    My HP restarts, at least once a day, with no regard for what apps are open, what website I might be on, what important email I might be writing.
    And it appears that the one setting that might stop these restarts, is grayed out for some reason.
    Then again, it's hard for me to believe that even Microsoft downloads and installs updates every single day. 
    I am confused, can't find a setting to stop this, and I am certainly not going to start messing around with my registry settings.

ALL TECH HELP SHOULD BE FREE, FOREVER!!

Monday, February 19, 2018 4:01 PM