Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed STOP 000000116 Blue screen while gaming RRS feed

• Question

• Hi i only have this problem when im gaming online.

this can happen as early as 5 minutes or every few hours I get a blue screen with this error.  Before my system crashes it shows disoriented colors with small pink pixes and or wavy lines at times and flickering

I check every driver on my whole system and have the latest drivers installed.  Including for my graphics card  im running.

I did a stress Test with Furmark  with a max temp of 87c on the graphic card.  there was no disortion or artifacts on my screen from the graphic card.  The file issue from the blue screen report sayst that it is from a

Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002_

Motherboard Nvidia XFX 780I SLI

Bios Phenix - Award Bios v6.00PG

Processor Intel(R) Core (TM) 2 Quad CPU Q9300 @ 2.50GHX (4CPUs), ! 2.5Ghz

Memory 8190MB RAM  DDR2

Direct X 11

Graphics Card NVIDIA GEFORce GTX 550 TI  2GB

Intergrated RAMDAC

Current Display Mode 1600 x1024 (32bit) (60Hz

Monitor LCD P201W

The blue screen report states that the crash is caused by driver dxgkrnl.sys

Mini100213-01.dmp 10/2/2013 12:02:47 PM  0x00000116 fffffa80`08572420 fffffa60`040fcf50 ffffffff`c000009a 00000000`00000004 dxgkrnl.sys dxgkrnl.sys+5bdcc DirectX Graphics Kernel Microsoft® Windows® Operating System Microsoft Corporation 7.0.6002.18107 (vistasp2_gdr_win7ip_dgt(wmbla).090924-1550) x64 ntoskrnl.exe+57150     C:\Windows\Minidump\Mini100213-01.dmp 4 15 6002 394,200 10/2/2013 12:04:42 PM

Problem Event Name: BlueScreen

OS Version: 6.0.6002.2.2.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

BCCode: 116

BCP1: FFFFFA8008572420

BCP2: FFFFFA60040FCF50

BCP3: FFFFFFFFC000009A

BCP4: 0000000000000004

OS Version: 6_0_6002

Service Pack: 2_0

Product: 768_1

Please help me resolve.  Thanks in advance

Shane. S.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 5:28 PM

Answers

• Re your 116 BSOD...

"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the Blue Screen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OS's like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.
    If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.
     Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.
     Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps

Advice offered in good faith. It is your decision to implement same.

Friday, October 4, 2013 6:09 AM

All replies

• Re your 116 BSOD...

"It's not a true crash, in the sense that the Blue Screen was initiated only because the combination of video driver and video hardware was being unresponsive, and not because of any synchronous processing exception".

Since Vista, the "Timeout Detection and Recovery" (TDR) components of the OS video subsystem have been capable of doing some truly impressive things to try to recover from issues which would have caused earlier OS's like XP to crash.

As a last resort, the TDR subsystem sends the video driver a "please restart yourself now!" command and waits a few seconds.
    If there's no response, the OS concludes that the video driver/hardware combo has truly collapsed in a heap, and it fires off that stop 0x116 BSOD.

If playing with video driver versions hasn't helped, make sure the box is not overheating.
     Try removing a side panel and aiming a big mains fan straight at the motherboard and GPU.
     Run it like that for a few hours or days - long enough to ascertain whether cooler temperatures make a difference.

If so, it might be as simple as dust buildup and subsequently inadequate cooling.

I would download cpu-z and gpu-z (both free) and keep an eye on the video temps

Advice offered in good faith. It is your decision to implement same.

Friday, October 4, 2013 6:09 AM
  • Thanks for the response.  I actually went out and bought a Nividia  Geforce 760 today and installed it......   same results... after maybe 30 minutes the graphics came disoriented on a brand new card.  i also did a stress test my Geforce 550TI  it maxed out at 87c  with no problems or disorented graphics.  my 550TI runs at around 36c while gaming.  my case runs quite cool and is clean inside. i spray my case with can air about once a month to be sure it has good air flow.  Im assuming  i have a problem with Direct x conflicting with my nivia problem.   I have no clue how to repair direct x 11 . ive looked online and googled to try to get suggestions however, i cant seem to find a straight answer  :-(  
    Sunday, October 6, 2013 8:05 AM
  • actually i might add  with the brand new graohic card  i dont get the blue screen but i still get the graphic artifacts and disortion. and the computer becomes unresponsive in which i have to manually restart my computer with the restart button on the tower.  which then tells me that windows did not shut down properly.  may it is a issue with my windows vista?   I did  a fresh reinstall and formated my hard drive about 2 weeks ago  thats when i started having the problem.  before i formated and reinstalled windows i never had this graphic problem
    Sunday, October 6, 2013 4:13 PM
  • xxxShanexxx

It might also be a failing power supply which would lead to video artifacts, and BCC116.

Since you changed the video card it probably isnt that

Since you re-installed the OS it probably isnt that

Im thinking CPU, Mobo, or PSU.

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Monday, October 7, 2013 1:41 AM
  • I did some test,  CPU, Motherboard and Powersupply (1000w) new checked out ok

i didnt have any issues with anything until i reinstalled windows,  after that then thats when the problems occured.  can it be corrupted drivers maybe? for windows.  sometimes i get a message on bootup saying that windows failed to start.  me the option of restarting in safe mode,  or normal start ect ect . if i select normal start then it boots up just fine.  

dxgkrnl.syss  is kind of worrying me.  it seems to be causing my bluescreens i think

Monday, October 7, 2013 5:32 AM
  • SHane

Are you doing a clean install from the windows dvd and nothing else?

Wanikiya & Dyami--Team Zigzag

Monday, October 7, 2013 8:53 PM
  • yes, the install was directly from my recovery disk  (which has windows vista on it 64 bit)  that came with my

hard drive and my case when i got the computer.  never had any problems with this blue screen until i did a clean reinstall and formated the hard drive  

Monday, October 14, 2013 12:11 AM
  • Hey, I have the exact same problem down to the squiggly lines and flashing dots and everything, Did u manage to fix it yet? and if so how did you do it?

Monday, March 10, 2014 1:31 AM