none
Problem installing Windows 10 1809 RSAT RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to use PowerShell to install the Remote Server Administrator Tools (RSAT) on Windows 10 1809. For some reason Add-WindowsCapability cannot find the CAB files. I have tried using a variable with the path to the data and a hard coded path in the Source parameter. Both result in an error that indicates the source files cannot be found:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Add-WindowsCapability : The source files could not be found.
    Use the "Source" option to specify the location of the files that are required to restore the feature. For more information on specifying a source location, see http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=243077.
    At C:\Users\test\Desktop\RSAT 1809\InstallRSATPackages.ps1:36 char:56
    + ... p -Online | Add-WindowsCapability -Source $dataPath -Online -LimitAcc …
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Add-WindowsCapability], COMException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Dism.Commands.AddWindowsCapabilityCommand

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I mentioned, using a variable containing the path to the source files or hard-coding the path always results in the source files not being. What am I doing wrong here?

$RSATAppsList = "Rsat.ActiveDirectory.DS-LDS.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.BitLocker.Recovery.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.CertificateServices.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.DHCP.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.Dns.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.FailoverCluster.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.FileServices.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.GroupPolicy.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.IPAM.Client.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.LLDP.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.NetworkController.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.NetworkLoadBalancing.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.RemoteAccess.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.RemoteDesktop.Services.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.ServerManager.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.Shielded.VM.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.StorageMigrationService.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.StorageReplica.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.SystemInsights.Management.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.VolumeActivation.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0",
    				"Rsat.WSUS.Tools~~~~0.0.1.0"

#Set path to data
     $dataPath = $(get-location).Path + "\EN-US"
     #Write-host "`nData Path: $dataPath`n"

ForEach ($RSATApp in $RSATAppsList)
    {
        $FeatureDisplayName = (Get-WindowsCapability -Name $RSATApp -Online).DisplayName

If ($FeatureDisplayName)
        {
            "Installing $FeatureDisplayName"

Add-WindowsCapability -Name $RSATApp -Source $dataPath -Online -LimitAccess | Out-Null
        }

Else
        {
            "Unable To Find $FeatureDisplayName"
        }
    }

Thank you!

Rob

• Edited by robwm1 Wednesday, January 23, 2019 6:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 6:12 PM

Answers

• If you look at this article:

https://www.systemcenterdudes.com/deploy-sccm-feature-on-demand/

Setting the GPO called out allows my computers to install RSAT. The only thing I need to find out is if this invites any large downloads of other things like certain patches, drivers, etc. If changing that setting causes a string of large downloads, then that solution will not work for us because some of our sites don't have adequate bandwidth to support that activity.

• Marked as answer by robwm1 Wednesday, February 6, 2019 3:32 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 11:04 PM

All replies

• I tried mounting the Windows 10 Enterprise Features on Demand ISO and pointed the source path to it:

-Source E:\

After that I started seeing the features installing without any problems. Obviously there are more files needed in my data payload that are required and missing in my CABs. The ISO is 4.6GB so I need to trim it down to only what is needed.

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 7:22 PM
  • Get-WindowsCapability -Name RSAT* -Online |Add-WindowsCapability -online

RSAT files are already present in Windows 10 1809.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:06 PM
  • That command line is not working for me because it pulls what is needed from Microsoft. We are configured to pull from our WSUS server which does not have the files needed. You can verify the files are not in the Windows 10 file system by disabling network access to the internet to see if that command line still works. For me, it does not. I have to provide the required files.
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:12 PM
  • Wrong.  The RSAT packages are already present in W10 1809 so you do not even need a network.   For 1809 the RSAT on the W10 system is the correct one to use.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:54 PM
  • I don't know what to tell you. If I use your suggested command line while internet connectivity is available, I can install RSAT. If I disable internet connectivity, I cannot install RSAT. This is my observation. I'm not making this stuff up here.

I have read that RSAT should be in the OS but that doesn't seem to be the case in my instance. The Turn Windows Features on or off applet does not list RSAT and I have seen screenshots that show it in there. I downloaded the VL ISO for Windows 10 1809 a couple of weeks after they issued the new re-release version. Something's not right here.

Premier is looking to see if there an MSU or update containing the RSAT files that I might be missing.

• Edited by robwm1 Wednesday, January 23, 2019 9:14 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 9:04 PM
  • I just did it on W10 1809 with the Internet disconnected.  1809 has many issue. This may be one.  I have no solution  for you.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 9:59 PM
  • I will post one once I get a solution working. My script works if it has a proper set of source files. Premier is leaning towards a bug report now.
    • Edited by robwm1 Wednesday, January 23, 2019 10:01 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 10:00 PM
  • If you look at this article:

https://www.systemcenterdudes.com/deploy-sccm-feature-on-demand/

Setting the GPO called out allows my computers to install RSAT. The only thing I need to find out is if this invites any large downloads of other things like certain patches, drivers, etc. If changing that setting causes a string of large downloads, then that solution will not work for us because some of our sites don't have adequate bandwidth to support that activity.

• Marked as answer by robwm1 Wednesday, February 6, 2019 3:32 PM
    Wednesday, January 23, 2019 11:04 PM
  • Ahhh.  One thing I didn't think of.  I have all selected by  default and have since the setting first became available.

No.  The download traffic is not excessive.

If that is selected and you have the package on WSUS then you will get it from WSUS.  If WSUS is your only source then you should have no issues.

You can set this on a single system on the "Windows Update" page. If you don't need it on every system then don't set it in GP or set it with a filter to restrict the systems that get that setting.

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, January 23, 2019 11:38 PM