none
How do you remove the miracast toolbar? RRS feed

• Question

• when you connect to a display over wireless, there's a dark grey toolbar that you can pin or unpin, but there's no option to close it.  How do I get rid of it?  it constantly pops up when playing starcraft and prevents me from moving the mouse to the top of the screen.  otherwise miracast is working perfectly

windows 10 1809/insider preview connecting to a LG TV

Monday, September 24, 2018 12:03 AM

Answers

• So annoying! This seemed to work for me:

Run Task Manager

Look for Windows Shell Experience Host process

Right click on it

End Task

• Proposed as answer by Fancy Shoes Friday, April 26, 2019 1:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Usernam Friday, May 17, 2019 2:03 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2019 5:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Did this issue occur on previous version, like Windows 10 1803?

In order to help you better, could you share a screenshot here to make us understand more clear?

If it only pops up when you play starcraft game, I suspect that may be caused by starcraft.  Check if it will disappear when you terminate all starcraft processes.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 24, 2018 1:27 AM
  • this is not a Starcraft - or any other software - issue.

since the update to 1809 that i received last month, i've experienced the exact same problem, and it's EXTREMELY annoying.  the toolbar cannot be moved from the top of the screen (you can slide it to the left or right, but as it is wider than half the screen it will always block items at the center top of the screen), so it always blocks tabs in the browser when maximized, for example.  it can be "unpinned"/made hidden so it only pop-out with mouseover, but it's FAR too easy to "show" it when unintended, again with browser tabs being a prime example, especially as it is wider than the row of tabs in most browsers and at most screen resolutions.  i've nearly disconnected my wireless display, accidentally, on many occasions.

it cannot be moved to another edge of the screen the way the taskbar can, nor can it be moved to a different display, such as when the desktop is extended across two or more monitors (as i regularly do).  it also is an overlay, unlike the taskbar, so it will not displace but simply display over whatever is underneath it.

this issue only seems to occur when connected to a wireless display, not connections via HDMI or other means (though i don't have the ability to test other than Miracast or HDMI; it's possible it doesn't appear with Chromecast or that it does with DisplayPort but i can't say.)  it also doesn't matter if i use the "Connect" or "Project" buttons in Action Center, or if I connect by going through Display Settings, or any other manner of reaching the actual connection stage.

i have searched and searched, both in Windows and online, with no success, for an option to close or, better yet, disable entirely this toolbar.  until i found this post i couldn't even find any other references to it, save one that showed the user had an LG display (since it said so where mine instead says "Philips blah blah...").

it did not appear prior to my receiving the 1809 update, so i suspect this is a new "feature" of Windows 10 for which there is not yet any user documentation.

at this point i'd even settle for a stable, tested fix via registry edits, and i'm almost at the point where i'd be willing to test a potentially unstable fix.

EDIT: here's a bit of screenshot...the gear icon used to open a pop-up menu with options for gaming, work, or general use profiles, though it recently (within the last week or so) became greyed out for an unknown reason (i've had no changes to any settings nor installed any software, unless Windows did it for me in its infinite wisdom...).

[soon as i can get the "verification" to work i'll add it, anyway...]

[edit again: here's a link, added disguised as code, since i can't seem to figure out forum validation/verification (long, unrelated-to-this-thread story)]

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UXzpHsFwynN7fbqA8

• Edited by angry emu Friday, January 11, 2019 12:46 AM
    Friday, January 11, 2019 12:13 AM
  • update: at some unknown point in the last 24 hours, the toolbar went away all on its own - i've had the wireless display connection active for about 48 hours or so now, give or take, and it was there for at least the first 24 of that.

if i wasn't getting a new HDMI cable delivered tomorrow so that i can connect the computer directly without moving it across the room, i'd be afraid to ever turn it or the TV off, or to even change the TV's input to watch football.....

Sunday, January 13, 2019 9:17 AM
  • sorry, one more post.

found this thread:
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remove-wireless-projection-banner-from-desktop/ce16c0dd-309c-4f6c-808a-7e7173e08dd2

...which led me to this article...UGH.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/whats-new/whats-new-windows-10-version-1809#wireless-projection-experience

so it IS a new feature, because some IT folks aren't smart enough to know when they've started or ended casting sessions.  in the meantime the rest of us have to deal with this junk and the associated headaches.

Sunday, January 13, 2019 3:08 PM

Run Task Manager

Right click on it

End Task

• Proposed as answer by Fancy Shoes Friday, April 26, 2019 1:56 PM
    • Marked as answer by Usernam Friday, May 17, 2019 2:03 AM
    Sunday, March 31, 2019 5:59 AM
  • Worked for me too. Thanks.
    Wednesday, April 17, 2019 6:47 PM
  • Great solution! After I ended this task in Task Manager (following an initial miracast session) the toolbar did not reappear during a subsequent session.  
    Friday, April 26, 2019 2:11 PM
  • Thank you so much!

Works for me perfect.

Thursday, May 2, 2019 10:31 PM

Run Task Manager

Right click on it

End Task

I can confirm this works :)
    Monday, May 6, 2019 3:35 AM
  • You saved my sanity, works!
    Tuesday, May 7, 2019 2:31 PM
  • It works!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Thursday, May 9, 2019 7:49 PM
  • thanks, this worked for me!  completely forgot I started this thread
    Friday, May 17, 2019 2:06 AM
  • I simply clicked the window and uses "ALT-F4" to close it

Anyway, a smal "x" to close the window would be helpful.

MCMLync2010, www.msxfaq.net, Please help us to find unanswered Questions by tagging answers as answer

• Proposed as answer by neakmenter Sunday, June 16, 2019 8:49 AM
    Monday, June 3, 2019 9:13 AM
  • Thanks Fancy Shoes,

That did the trick.

Mike

Thursday, June 27, 2019 12:17 PM