none
DPM EUR split RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Just a little word about the test lab implementation.

A file server with 2 shares : FileSrv\Folder1 and FileSrv\Folder2.

EUR is activated on the DPM (Ad schema extension done...) ...

2 protection groups => Protect1 which has Folder1 saved has a file (All volumes...) and Protect2 which has Folder2 saved as a share (All shares)...

The expected behaviour would be that only Folder2 is available for EUR as EUR is only available for shares. but in my lab i have also Folder1 which is available for EUR (Using Previous version Tab) ...

Is that a know issue or DPM doesn't make a difference between share (Net share) and share in the console ?

Thanks in advance

Wednesday, March 7, 2012 2:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

In simple terms, if you have end user recovery (EUR) enabled, any file server data protected by DPM that has a share associated with it, will have EUR enabled.   It does not matter if you protect the data by selecting a share or an individual folder, if the protected data (folder) is accessible via a share DPM will create an EUR share on the DPM server.

So, you need to decide what is important to protect, if you have a volume with 10 shares, but only need DPM to protect a single share, then by selecting that single share, DPM will protect that and only that share, and EUR will only be avalable for that single share.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by IcemanTH Monday, March 12, 2012 9:56 PM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 2:40 PM

All replies

• Hi,

DPM does not differentiate between volume level backup or share level backup when it comes to EUR.  DPM will enable EUR for ALL shares if you protect an entire volume.  If you just select certain shares to protect, then DPM will only enable EUR for those specific shares since that is all that is being protected.

So - to be clear, if you protect a volume, DPM will enable EUR for all shares on that volume. If you just protect one or more shares, DPM will only enable EUR for the share(s) selected for protection. 

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, March 8, 2012 5:11 PM
  • Hi, 

That's what I though and read about in the DPM2010 doc... So I decided to delete every shares and to begin the tests again.

EUR was enable with all protection groups deleted.

I then decide to protect a directory via "volume" and not via "shares" , but the selected directory under volumes was EUR enabled, I could use the previous versions in the client side... Plus the share was displayed in the proper AD folder....

For info this directory is "shared via the explorer tab of windows"...

If I resume what're saying is that if a directory which is not shared via the windows explorer is saved by DPM "under volumes stuff" than automatically any shares on that volume are going to be EUR protected? If it's the case why have volumes and shares differentiated within the DPM console ???

Thanks,

Sunday, March 11, 2012 3:56 PM
  • Hi again,

I did perform other tests to be sure...

When I'm protecting on the same drive (D: of testfile1server) via all Shares a directory it work as only the selected directory have EUR enable.

BUT when on the same DPM server I create a new protection group where I protect the (E: of testfile1server) via the All volumes and select the directory than this directory is also EUR enabled...; (It's another volume ??? - This direcotry on E: is also shared via the windows explorer)

Where I'm going wrong ?

Thank,

Monday, March 12, 2012 10:19 AM
  • Hi,

In simple terms, if you have end user recovery (EUR) enabled, any file server data protected by DPM that has a share associated with it, will have EUR enabled.   It does not matter if you protect the data by selecting a share or an individual folder, if the protected data (folder) is accessible via a share DPM will create an EUR share on the DPM server.

So, you need to decide what is important to protect, if you have a volume with 10 shares, but only need DPM to protect a single share, then by selecting that single share, DPM will protect that and only that share, and EUR will only be avalable for that single share.

• Marked as answer by IcemanTH Monday, March 12, 2012 9:56 PM
    Monday, March 12, 2012 2:40 PM
  • Hi Mike, 

Thanks again for the info... It is clear now :)

I close the subject

Monday, March 12, 2012 9:55 PM