none
Fail to update the Domain Controller NTP source with command w32tm RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

Good morning. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving holidays! Now just back to work :)

I have asked couple of questions on updating the domain controller (PDC) time source as it is using local / cmos only. The followings are the commands I ran:

#################

Net stop w32time
    W32tm /register
    Net start w32time

W32tm /config /manualpeerlist:”0.10.10.2.3 1.129.6.15.29 2.204.34.198.40 3.69.25.96.13” /syncfromflags:manual  /reliable:yes /update
    Netstop w32time
    Netstart w32time

#################

After done, I ran the w32tm /query /status. However, it still showed using local /cmos. So what did I miss? Hope you can help!

Thank you!

Takami Chiro

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:52 PM

Answers

• Can't say why the pool ip's did not work. The cisco may have been for some other reason as well like routing, firewall, or service not enabled on device. If the three pool servers are working then this config should be fine.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Edited by Dave PatrickMVP Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Riderfaiz Tuesday, December 3, 2019 6:51 PM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:14 PM

All replies

• Might try them individually, do any work?

w32tm /unregister
    net stop w32time
    w32tm /register
    net start w32time
    w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:0.10.10.2.3 /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update
    net stop w32time
    net start w32time

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:19 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Thanks again for your prompt response... Before I try this...will each append to the last one I enter?

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:31 PM
  • No, each time you do /unregister /register the slate is cleaned. Just suggesting a more simplistic troubleshooting approach. Try them individually, do any of them work?

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:41 PM
  • Hi Dave,
    Thanks. I did try to type in my cisco core switch in the command (while I also do unregister and stop and start the w32time service), but it still does not take it.

Should I try to put a flag "time source, 0x1"?

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:54 PM
  • What's in the system event log about failure?

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 3:59 PM
  • Dave,

I have been learning from you :) Thank you for having me check into the event log...There is a warning saying " No valid response has been received from manually configured peer 10.10.2.3 after 8 attemps to contact it. This peer will be discarded as a time source and NTPClient will attempt to discover a new peer with this dns name. The error is: The peer is unreachable".

So in this case... instead of using my core switch, Should I try to use 129.6.15.29, which is also be the source my core switch using now?

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 4:05 PM
  • Sure try another using the steps above. Appears that the switch is either not providing the service or that UDP 123 is blocked or routing problems.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 4:12 PM
  • Dave, this is what I tried...

1.) I typed in only the pool.ntp.org IP address 129.6.15.29...x It still had error about some dns or something in the event log.

2.) Then I tried to type in their dns name instead "0.pool.ntp.org, 1.pool.ntp.org, 2.pool.ntp.org".... when I did the query status it still said "local"...but after checking the evenlog without any warning or errors after 20 secs... the query status told it worked!

So do you think the command could not take IP address like the Cisco IOS does? Also, you think "0.pool.ntp.org, 1.pool.ntp.org, 2.pool.ntp.org" is ok for redundancy?

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 4:40 PM
  • Can't say why the pool ip's did not work. The cisco may have been for some other reason as well like routing, firewall, or service not enabled on device. If the three pool servers are working then this config should be fine.

(please don't forget to mark helpful replies as answer)

• Edited by Dave PatrickMVP Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:37 PM
    • Marked as answer by Riderfaiz Tuesday, December 3, 2019 6:51 PM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:14 PM
  • Thank you very much again! I will treat you a meal next time if we have fate to meet (sincerely. I really appreciate all your great help here :)

I am located at San Francisco Bay Area.

Have a nice day!

Takami Chiro

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 6:52 PM
  • You're quite welcome. A good day to you as well.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 6:58 PM