none
Compatability with Project 2010 and 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• My colleague recently installed MS Project 2013 Standard. I am running MS Project 2010 Professional. He sent me a project plan to review and I am unable to open the file. The project plan was originally created in the 2010 version.

I get the error:

Unsupported File

The file cannot be opened because it was created by a newer version of Microsoft Project and may contain data not supported by Project 2010.

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue? Everything I am reading states that I should be able to open a Project 2013 file with Project 2010.

Monday, October 21, 2013 1:54 PM

All replies

• Does the 2013 file have dates after 2049?  If so, it cannot be opened in 2010.
    Monday, October 21, 2013 8:29 PM
  • Make sure you have SP2 installed for Project 2010, that will help with Project 2013 compatibility.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book

Rod Gill Project Management

Tuesday, October 22, 2013 8:54 PM
  • You can try to select Save As in 2013 and save in one of the older formats (2007) that should at least in theory open with 2010.

www.umt.com

Thursday, October 24, 2013 5:01 PM
  • I have an MPP file from one of my colleagues that was created in MSP 2013, but cannot be opened by 2010.  When I try to save it as a 2007 format, I get an error message that 2007 does not support dates greater than 12/31/2049.  This suggests that the MPP file has a date like this.  Yet, I have searched every date field, every formula, even exported to XML to scan for large dates, and yet I cannot find any date greater than 2049.  Is there another way to locate such a date?  Is it possible that the MPP file has become corrupt in some way making it seem like it has dates far into the future?  I copy/pasted all rows to a new blank MPP file and the problem went away, so there must be something about the date.  Thanks.

Soochx

Thursday, November 21, 2013 2:51 AM
  • Under Project, Project Information, what is the Finish date shown (should be same as finish date for project Summary task).

Rod Gill

Thursday, November 21, 2013 8:37 AM
  • Rod,

Yes, the Project Information Finish Date and the Summary task Finish Date are the same.  Before I get into the solution, a reminder that the original problem surfaced when a user with MS Project 2010 was trying to read an MPP saved with MS Project 2013.  The 2010 user was getting an error indicating that the file format was unknown and was created in a newer version of Project.

Turns out that there was some unknown corruption that was present.  After several trials of saving to XML, removing rows and columns, removing resources, and even removing changes to calendars, I was left with an empty shell of a schedule.  But I was NOT able to save it to MS Project 2007, due to the error that this version does not support dates greater than 31 December 2049.  My goal was not to save to 2007, but this was my test for duplicating the issue of not being able to open the file in 2010 that had been saved by 2013.  Saving even this empty MPP file to XML did not reveal any dates like this.  So as I was attempting to copy/paste all original rows, columns and resources into a new blank MPP file, I discovered a possible corruption issue with one of the views.  My colleague had created a view, MyView, connected to the table, Gantt.  I opened the file in MS Project 2013, and changed to another view.  Then, I deleted the "MyView" view, then applied the table Gantt and rebuilt the view, then saved the MPP file.  Problem solved!  At that time I WAS able to save the file to MS Project 2007 without the error, and I was also able to open the file in MS Project 2010, which was the test that proved the fix worked.  So it appears as though some corruption "attached" itself to this view, MyView.  I have learned over time that MPP files can easily become corrupt, generally when users copy/paste data into MPP.  In this particular instance, the user copied rows from an email into MS Project.  We believe that this is where the 2049 date may have originated.

Lesson learned -- be very careful when pasting information into MS Project.  You never know what hidden data and attributes may come along for the ride.  This was not my first corruption issue that resulted from pasting into MS Project.

Ray

Thursday, November 21, 2013 3:44 PM
  • Well done finding that problem and thanks for sharing the solution with us.

Rod Gill

Thursday, November 21, 2013 9:40 PM
  • Ray, thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.  While I did not have a "My View" situation, I believe I did have the date greater than 12/31/2049 issue.  To resolve the problem I selected the Gantt Chart pulldown from the View Ribbon and selected Reset to Default.  I did not lose any data, but I did have to re-add the columns I added to the default Gantt Chart view. 
    Thursday, May 29, 2014 6:03 PM
  • I have reproduced the error when trying to save a MS Project 2013 as a MS Project 2007 file.

The fault is that the the View is corrupted possibly through zooming in to full or reusing an old plan with a baseline.

To avoid exporting and re-importing you should select the Calendar View, go back to Gantt View, ensure zoom is at 100% (in the middle of the zoom bar).

Then resave as an MSP file (2013), and then as an MSP 2007 file if you need to share the file.

The Project saves without errors.

• Proposed as answer by Torski Wednesday, December 3, 2014 5:51 PM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 5:51 PM
  • I downloaded a .JPG  file which has the bizarre date of 5/30/2049.

File Properties shows all proper dates for file creation, modification, and access, but File Explorer is showing the 2049 date, which apparently is the internal time stamp on the photo. Do you know how this happens and how I can fix it?

Copying the file retains the 2049 date, and I've looked in vain for a way to change the date in IrfanView.

Friday, January 9, 2015 12:08 AM
  • mrento --

You have posted your question about JPG files in a user forum dedicated to questions about Microsoft Project, a project management application.  I would suggest that you repost your question in a more relevant user forum.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Friday, January 9, 2015 12:30 PM
  • Wow, how did Microsoft navigation get me into such a wrong place?

All Microsoft sites have horrid navigation.

Friday, May 15, 2015 9:25 PM
  • When sharing files between different versions it is essential that all versions have the latest SP and preferably latest cumulative update as well.

You can also:

1. Save the project
    2. Open the Organizer
    3. Delete all custom Tables, Views etc
    4. Save to a new file name
    5. Try opening in the other version.
    6. If you make changes there that have to come back to 2013, use teh Organizer to copy back teh tables and Views etc you need.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, May 15, 2015 11:30 PM
  • This method also worked for me with the same error message reported in Project 2010 when trying to open a file produced by Project 2016.
    Tuesday, March 28, 2017 12:20 PM
  • Yeah, I reset Views to default on MSP 2013: Task ribbon>View (drop-down where it usually says Gannt Chart)?>Reset to Default.

It then saved to 2007 format and I could carry on updating using 2010 on my usual PC, as before.
    From the original solution I'm replying to, I suspect my colleague set up a Filter or View that either managed to refer to a date beyond 2049 or unknowingly save a custom view corrupted in some way).

Thursday, October 12, 2017 7:54 PM