All my POP rules disappeared and replaced by rules from new microsoft exchange account RRS feed

• Question

• I have a POP3 and Hotmail email accounts which all had their individual rules.

However when I added another email account which was a Microsoft exchange account, I noticed that all the rules associated with this account had replaced ALL the rules I had meticulously set up for my POP3 accounts !

Furthermore, in the Manage Rules settings window, the 'Apply changes to this folder' point to the POP3 accounts BUT all the Rules relate to the Microsoft Exchange account which ISNT listed ?!

I really dont understand what happened and how can I salvage the old rules for my POP3 accounts and how I can get the 'Manage Rules & Alerts' window to see the new Microsoft Exchange folder.

Sunday, February 7, 2016 9:39 AM

Answers

• Hi 

Thank you for message.

However since posting my query, I learnt that when I added the Microsoft exchange account, it automatically set itself as the default data file in 'Account Settings' which replaced the POP folder rules with its own.

When I changed the default data file back to the POP account ('username'.pst), the Microsoft exchange account suddenly appeared in the dialogue box for Rules & Alerts and all the Rules associated with each specific folder was re-established - i.e. all the Rules to the POP accounts had been reinstated and the Microsoft Exchange account was linked to its own set of rules.

A simple solution(?) but it appears to work.

• Marked as answer by Steve Fan Monday, March 7, 2016 7:42 AM
    Monday, February 8, 2016 11:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I'm afraid this is the expected behavior. The rules for the Exchange and POP3 are combined together in Outlook.

To still be able to make a separation between these accounts, you’ll have to add the “on this computer only” or “through the specified account” condition to the rule to turn it into a local rule.

Exchange will then ignore that rule and the processing will be forced to take place at Outlook level where the POP3 account exists.

For detailed information, please have a look at the following article:

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/777

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If I've misunderstood something, please feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Steve Fan
    TechNet Community Support

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Monday, February 8, 2016 6:39 AM
  • Hi 

Thank you for message.

However since posting my query, I learnt that when I added the Microsoft exchange account, it automatically set itself as the default data file in 'Account Settings' which replaced the POP folder rules with its own.

When I changed the default data file back to the POP account ('username'.pst), the Microsoft exchange account suddenly appeared in the dialogue box for Rules & Alerts and all the Rules associated with each specific folder was re-established - i.e. all the Rules to the POP accounts had been reinstated and the Microsoft Exchange account was linked to its own set of rules.

A simple solution(?) but it appears to work.

• Marked as answer by Steve Fan Monday, March 7, 2016 7:42 AM
    Monday, February 8, 2016 11:42 AM