[App-V 5] Cannot get published information RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I am deploying an App-V 5.0 client in a test lab. A problem that I have now, is that I am not able to sync the applications from the management server, by using Powershell or the App-V Client GUI. On the server side everything is looking OK, I can open the console and I see that my apps are published.

I get the following error on the App-V client: Internal Error detail: 45500D2780190194 The eventlog also gives me errors: 0x45500D27 and 0x80190194

I think i have set up the Publisingserver correctly using powershell cmdlets on the App-V client. Also when I open a webbrowser on the clientside and I go to my publishing server with the following url: http://<managementserver:12345/Packages I see a correct list of the packages, so I would say that on the server side everything is looking OK.  

Please advice, because it already takes a long time to troubleshoot this? 

Thanks 

Friday, November 23, 2012 2:40 PM

Answers

• Problem solved. At the end it was my error. I thought that when I install the Management Server I also had publishing capabilities. I didn't know that I also needed a Publishing server/website on the same server. So basically I had a partial installation. When I add the Publishing server installation on the Management server, it was working.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:00 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:48 PM

All replies

• Could you please detail your environment in more detail.

How are you defining the publishing server on the client? (i.e. what's the add-appvpublishingserver command line that you used? What's the output from get-appvclientconfiguration?

Have you followed this article: How to troubleshoot publishing server refresh failures in App-V v5 ?

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

Friday, November 23, 2012 3:22 PM
  • Well it is a simple testenvironment. So the servers are running W2K8R2, SQL2008R2 (build 10.50.2811) and 1 Windows 7 X64 client.
    When the App-V client is installed, as a test I run the following Powershell command: "add-AppvPublishingServer -Name AppVServer -url Http://<servername>:12345" after that I run the command "Sync-AppVPublishingServer -ServerID 1". Then I got the error:

Operation attempted: RefreshPublishingServer.

Windows Error: 0x80190194 -

Error module: Publishing. Internal error detail: 45500D2780190194. 

When I go on the App-V client to http://<servername>:12345/packages I see a XML file with my packages, so that is looking OK. The article doesn't give me a solution for my problem. Also the Update button in the App-V client GUI doesn't perform a sync.

What am I doing wrong here? Is it something with authentication?

My goal is to find a solution for a new production environment that we are currently building. In earlier versions of App-V we normally used a File Streaming method in combination with a third party Desktop Management Tool to publish the shortcuts for the users. As far as I can see now this method is not the way to go anymore because with App-V 5 I see extra maintenance to add the packages to the App-V client when you're not using an App-V server.

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:34 AM
  • Hello,

Have you verified against this guide that you server is setup properly?

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2012/05/08/walking-through-the-app-v-5-0-beta-server-setup-part-1.aspx

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Monday, November 26, 2012 1:22 PM
  • I think so. Yesterday I have created a total new testenviroment that resides in our company. This enviroment is not exactly the same as our customer, but I want to find out how the product work and how I need to install it.  In this testenvironment I am using a Windows Server 2012 with SQL 2012 Standard and a Windows 8 Machine with the App-V 5 client. I followed all the prerequisites described in the manual. The installation is very basic, but again no luck with the App-V client. I got the same error. Also the Silverlight console is working fine without any problem.

But, one thing what I do is different. I don't want to use the installer to create the database. This because of the following reasons:

- The production environment that resides at the client is a SQL Cluster and I simply cannot easily test (or don't know) if the Installer of App-V 5 is compatible with SQL Failover Clusters. The cluster is also running productiondatabases now, so there is no room for error.

- I don't want to install .Net or other stuff on the SQL Nodes just to create a database.

So therefor I am using the SQL Scripts that are inside the installer to manually create the management database. I really don't know why Microsoft has chosen to create a seperate installer for the creation of the Database and why in h*ll i am not able to remotely install this database and need to do this tasks on the SQL server (or I must be mistaken in this?). It makes things unnecessary complex.  Also in my testenvironment I needed to create a new SQL Server just for App-V, because normally we want to go on SQL Server on a Core installation for all our infrastructure products and for App-V 5 it is not supported on Core installations. it feels like I am going back in time with App-V 5 :)  

But, the only thing that I am not totally convinced of is the Permissions.sql script to create the database. I need to set a Hex value there of the SID of the user that is installing the product. I am not really sure how to see this Hex value. Now I have used ADSIEDIT, go to the user, find the SID, doubleclick it and copied everything that was in the HEX drop down list. Is there a easier way of doing this and could it be that there is a issue here? Again, the console looks OK.

Please advice, thanks!

Thursday, November 29, 2012 8:51 AM
  • Problem solved. At the end it was my error. I thought that when I install the Management Server I also had publishing capabilities. I didn't know that I also needed a Publishing server/website on the same server. So basically I had a partial installation. When I add the Publishing server installation on the Management server, it was working.

• Proposed as answer by znack Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Thursday, November 29, 2012 1:00 PM
    Thursday, November 29, 2012 12:48 PM