none
two deploymentshares RRS feed

• General discussion

• hello all

does anybody use MDT and two deploymentshares? I think it is and better distinction if you use server and clients.

If yes, can you tell me you experience

Chris

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 2:59 PM

All replies

• I use (2) DP's all the time. One for Reference Build and one for Production deployment.
    Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:01 PM
  • I use 2 deployment shares too. One 2012(xp, vista, 7) and one 2013 (7,8).

No problem at all. They are two different shares.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:14 PM
  • hi all

today we use one share but we can't have difference $OEM$ folders for client and servers

and second problem is that we need different passwords (ok you can set customsetting.ini, but it is complex to manage if you have more tasksequence)

we have 5 clients and I must define all five tasksequence with same pwd

[1]
    MachineObjectOU=ou=client,dc=company,dc=com
    AdminPassword=xyz (not our real pwd)

[2]
    MachineObjectOU=ou=server,dc=company,dc=com
    AdminPassword=123

Chris

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:21 PM
  • can you tell me a little how to on WDS. Does MDT and new deploymentshare automatical generate the WDS entry. Do we need a other boot image?

Chris

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:28 PM
  • Hi,

Two deployment shares should work without any issue.

But you can also have a look at the "linked deployment share" feature wich will allow you to have two DP and to easily replicate content (applications, tasks sequences) from the parent DP to the linked DP.

Regards,

My technet galleries contributions : <a href="http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/ConfigMgr-Driver-Injector-aae7d17d"> ConfigMgr driver injector</a> // <a href="http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/SCCM-Collection-Splitter-e1c82b06"> SCCM Collection splitter</a>

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:28 PM
  • If you have two different deployment shares, and you want to connect to them automatically, generally you'd use two different boot images. Having said that, if you erase the "DeployRoot" property from Bootstrap.ini, you should be prompted about which share to connect to. (Don't quote me; it's been a while since I tested that.)

WDS should be used to enable PXE; you shouldn't need to do anything within WDS once it is working as needed. Basically, set it and 'forget' it.

-Nick O.

Wednesday, September 18, 2013 3:53 PM
  • I'm actually using two deployment share to build dual boot images. The first deployment share allows some input, then during the task sequence it makes two partitions (and active patitions) and copies the boot loader to a USB. It will load the first image to the second partition and at the end of the task sequence I'm having it load the LitetouchPE_x64.wim file from DS2 and then it reboots. The second deployment share is fully automated and load the image to the first partition overwriting the boot loader and making it the first bootable OS.

its a neat trick. its probably not the best way to do it, but it works

Richard J Tracy II

Thursday, September 17, 2015 3:04 PM