none
Replica is inconsistent RRS feed

• Question

• I have a single protection group called Servers which is backing up approximately 33 members across 11 servers.

We have 5 members across two different servers who are always reporting Replica is Inconsistent as its status and nothing I have done seems to resolve it.

My main concern is our mail file server which backs up our current and archived Home folders.

E:\Home

E:\Old

I have deleted protection for these members and added it again. Nothing changes. In fact, it seems now the Replica creation is failing.

Type: Replica creation
    Description: The DPM service was unable to communicate with the protection agent on classeur.college.ac.uk. (ID 52 Details: The semaphore timeout period has expired (0x80070079))
     More information
    End time: 27/01/2012 17:21:47
    Start time: 27/01/2012 16:25:42
    Time elapsed: 00:56:04
    Data transferred: 34,950.94 MB
    Cluster node -
    Source details: E:\
    Protection group members: 2
     Details
    Protection group: college Servers

Also consistency checks fail:

Type: Consistency check
    Description: An unexpected error occurred while the job was running. (ID 104 Details: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect (0x8007007B))
     More information
    End time: 27/01/2012 23:14:39
    Start time: 27/01/2012 17:36:51
    Time elapsed: 05:37:48
    Data transferred: 75,523.70 MB
    Cluster node -
    Source details: E:\
    Protection group members: 2
     Details
    Items scanned: 2272820
    Items fixed: 1068136

The consistency check takes a long time (presumably from the number of files being fixed?) and after 5 hours it only completes about 10% of the data to be backed up.

My other 3 members tries to synchronise daily:

Type: Synchronization
    Description: The replica of Volume D:\ on swift.college.ac.uk is not consistent with the protected data source. DPM error ID = 30156. (ID 33123)
     More information
    End time: 27/01/2012 23:04:14
    Start time: 27/01/2012 23:04:11
    Time elapsed: 00:00:03
    Data transferred: -
    Cluster node -
    Source details: D:\
    Protection group members: 3
     Details

After attempting to delete these members and add them again I get different errors:

Type: Replica creation
    Description: DPM is unable to continue protection for D:\ on swift.college.ac.uk because the change tracking information is corrupt (ID 30156 Details: The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002))
     More information
    End time: 28/01/2012 12:33:51
    Start time: 28/01/2012 12:33:42
    Time elapsed: 00:00:08
    Data transferred: -
    Cluster node -
     Details

Recovery point creation fails and consistency checks fail with a different error:

Type: Consistency check
    Description: DPM is unable to continue protection for D:\ on swift.college.ac.uk because the change tracking information is corrupt (ID 30156 Details: The system cannot find the file specified (0x80070002))
     More information
    End time: 28/01/2012 13:02:02
    Start time: 28/01/2012 13:02:00
    Time elapsed: 00:00:02
    Data transferred: 0 MB
    Cluster node -
     Details
    Items scanned: 0
    Items fixed: 0

I am becoming increasingly disheartened with DPM unfortunately. I was initially over the moon with it after being stuck with Symantec Backup Exec for a long time.  Now I am not so sure.

I have to say I'm extremely disappointed with the supposed "More Information" links on these errors. The most recent one above takes me to a Page Not Found Error: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee958049.aspx

And it gets worse... a lot of the error codes reported in my errors Well see for yourself how helpful they are:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff973154.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff973655.aspx

I really apologise for being critical. I know that DPM is a very superior product on many levels and I know my experiences aren't indicative of everyone else, but when things are going wrong "At this time, no additional information is available for this error." is not acceptable!

If any of you can help me with your valuable experience then it would be much appreciated.

Saturday, January 28, 2012 1:51 PM

All replies

• Hi Chrade,

Everyone face this problem when starting with a new program. So no worries!

Let see where do you have the problem. To do that please provide an answer to the following questions:-

1. Is your problem that the agent is losing connection to the protected server? If yes, Do you have any firewall between the DPM server and the protected server? Are you protecting a server on the same domain?

2. Or is you problem is that your replica cannot be created? If yes, how many times you deleted the Protection Group? more than three times?

Laith.

Sunday, January 29, 2012 12:08 AM
  • Hi Crade,

You must be running a virtual environment when you mention 33 membes on 11 servers. It is important to knwo if you are running a serialized back-up or using vss hardware providers. Can you please give some more info on this?

Regards,

Sunday, January 29, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Hi Marthijn,

Thanks for your reply.

We are indeed running a virtual environment on Hyper-V. However, we aren't using any highly available features such as CSVs etc.

Laith.

Thank you also for your reply.

1. The errors suggest that the agent loses connection, however I do not believe this to be firewall related. The protected server that is causing me problems actually has a couple of volumes which are being backed up fine. The protected server is also in the same domain and subnet as the DPM server.

2. When I stop protection for the troublesome members, and modify the protection group to include it again, it does appear as though the Replication fails, then subsequently the replica is inconsistent and the consistency check fails. You mention deleting the protection group. Is this recommended next? The particular members that aren't backing up are currently the most imporant to us. I literally do not mind having to start again from scratch if necessary. Anything to get this working as quickly as possible.

Thank you,

Chris

Sunday, January 29, 2012 7:17 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Deleting  the PG might solve the problem but lets keep that to the last minute.

Lets indicate where the problem is:-

Does the agent lose the contact with the DPM server and thats when the problem accure?

or

There is no problem with the agent connection. You are protecting succesffully couple of volumes but you have problem protecting one volume. In that case what are you trying to protect and it fails?

Regards,

Laith.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012 9:21 PM
  • Hi all,

Has this issue been resolved? I would like to know the status as I am experiencing the same issue. If someone could please shed some light on this, that would be great!

Monday, September 3, 2012 8:18 AM