none
Moving to active directory and migrating local user profiles RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am in the process of moving to an active directory environment. Currently all workstations have a default user account setup which I want to be the new user profile for the first user logging into this PC. This means after joining the domain and the user login the PC creates a profile "username" which actually is a replicate of the current user. That way the users just login and don't have to change anything in the system as everything is as they used to login. In addition I would like a default profile on all PCs with a set of Programs linked to the start screen and Links and settings etc. I know I can replicate some stuff via the GPO but it seems easier to have a default user account on the system which is almost like the current user profile. Or can I create a GPO somehow based on the current user and settings on a workstation?

tl;dr:

link current local user profile to the first connected domain user.

create a default user profile for first logins

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 8:20 AM

Answers

• We use forensit profwiz for this purpose. It saves so much time compared to upgrading an entire active directory.

Regarding the customised start screen the only way to do this without Enterprise or Education Edition is to reimage the pcs to one that has been created with "copy profile" enabled and the start screen configured with the shortcuts you want out of the box.

Its a lot of work depending on the number of pcs you might be better off just having staff set them up manually.

Tuesday, September 6, 2016 2:04 PM