Cannot Edit Unattend.xml File RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I am trying to set the CopyProfile option true for my deployment task sequence. Doing so involves editing the unattend.xml file. Each time I try to do so from the task's properties, it gets stuck building the catalog file, which never completes. The process hangs and I have to forcibly quit out of it, resulting in an "Unable to edit unattend.xml file" error message. Why does this happen? For this task in particular, I imported the WIM along with a full set of installation files. That didn't seem to bring the catalog file over with it. Wha causes this, and how can I properly edit the unattend.xml file from the properties dialog. Right now, I just go in and edit the unattend.xml file directly, but I am sure there is a better way to be doing it. If I try to open the tasks's unattend file with WSIM, I get the catalog error stating there is no catalog file associated. When I try to use the target WIM to create the catalog file I get a "Unknown error (0xc1420127)." What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

Jason

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 12:47 PM

Answers

• Then there's your issue.  Retry building it on a 32-bit OS.

EDIT: Also note you don't need to continue to edit it in 32-bit, you just need it to build the CLG file.  I believe it's because the clg file references the local SXS directory when building it.

• Edited by MrBrooks Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:09 PM
    • Marked as answer by N74JW Thursday, May 7, 2015 2:08 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:04 PM
  • That makes the answer easy. You can't build a 32bit catalog on a 64bit host. Create a VM or use an existing 32bit system. Install WAIK or ADK and build the catalog there. Then just copy the file over and you'll be able to open up the unattend file using MDT.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Ha! I hadn't refreshed and didn't see your replies.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:19 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Dan_Vega Wednesday, May 6, 2015 3:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:17 PM

All replies

• First, let me say if you're doing this for a Windows 8.1 image DON'T. It's not supported an introduced a lot of issues for me when I first tried using it.

Second I once had a similar issue. I think I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling the ADK because it would no longer build a catalog. I think a few months later I stumbled across a post on how to fix that. I'll see if I can find it.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:45 PM
  • I'm doing this for Windows 7 Pro x86, on an x64 installation of MDT 2013 (I think). Is there a way to verify the bitwise version of MDT? Programs and features in the Control Panel doesn't specify as well as the About dialogs from the programs. Thanks

Jason

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:48 PM
  • More than likely you have a corrupt wim mounted in your temp directory.  Run the command dism /get-mountedwiminfo and validate no wims are mounted.  Wims can be unmounted with the command dism /unmount-wim /mountdir:%MOUNTPATH% .  Once you're sure no wims are mounted, reattempt the catalog build process.  If there are no wims mounted then you're more than likely trying to build a 64-bit unattend on a 32-bit system or the other way around. 64-bit catalogs need a 64-bit OS to build that CLG.  Hope this helps.

Ryan

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:52 PM
  • I'll try to empty the catalog file with dism. I am actually trying to create a 32-bit CLG on a 64-bit implementation.

Jason

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 1:53 PM
  • Then there's your issue.  Retry building it on a 32-bit OS.

EDIT: Also note you don't need to continue to edit it in 32-bit, you just need it to build the CLG file.  I believe it's because the clg file references the local SXS directory when building it.

• Edited by MrBrooks Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:09 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:04 PM
  • That makes the answer easy. You can't build a 32bit catalog on a 64bit host. Create a VM or use an existing 32bit system. Install WAIK or ADK and build the catalog there. Then just copy the file over and you'll be able to open up the unattend file using MDT.

Ha! I hadn't refreshed and didn't see your replies.

• Edited by Dan_Vega Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:19 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Dan_Vega Wednesday, May 6, 2015 3:20 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:17 PM
  • I'll give that a try. Do I need to import the WIM file I am trying to use on the 32-bit platform, or just a copy of the 32-bit installer?

Thanks

Jason

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:21 PM
  • You need the WIM

This may help explain a few things - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744249(v=ws.10).aspx

• Edited by Dan_Vega Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:30 PM
    Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:29 PM
  • Do I need to set up a whole x86 WADK/MDT install to do this?

Thanks

Jason

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:35 PM
  • No need for MDT, you really just need the Image manager to create a new catalog for your custom image.

Wednesday, May 6, 2015 2:38 PM