none
Result: Failure (Error Code: 0x80070005) when applying GPP

Question

• All,

I am trying to set a new home page in IE for my users which can be changed afterwards, and I am trying to do this with a GPP.

I have this error (Result: Failure (Error Code: 0x80070005) when I trying to do this with a registry entry or with the internet settings gpp. I find no other errors in the eventviewer on their computers (Windows 7), this error I got back when doing an rsop in the GPMC.

I have already tried with the 'run in logged-on user's security context' enabled and disabled. Same result. Other registry settings like the default page is working without any errors.

I have already tried looking on the forums and online, but for this error for the start page/homepage, I am totally stumped.

registry key

Properties
    Hive HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    Key path Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
    Value name Start Page
    Value type REG_SZ
    Value data http://companyportalpage

Options
    Stop processing items on this extension if an error occurs on this item No
    Run in logged-on user's security context (user policy option) Yes
    Remove this item when it is no longer applied No
    Apply once and do not reapply Yes

and the internet settings gpp:

Internet Explorer 8 and 9: Internet Explorer 8 and 9 (Order: 1)

Home page
    Main tab 
    http://companyportalpage
    Common
    Options
    Stop processing items on this extension if an error occurs on this item No
    Run in logged-on user's security context (user policy option) Yes
    Apply once and do not reapply Yes

Wednesday, January 28, 2015 10:16 AM

All replies

• This could be the similar case. Refer http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2447414

Regards, Prabhu

Thursday, January 29, 2015 4:22 AM
  • thanks for the reply, but I have already tried changing the "Run in logged-on user’s security context (user policy option)".

No effect sadly.

Thursday, January 29, 2015 8:18 AM
  • Hi,

>>I have this error (Result: Failure (Error Code: 0x80070005) when I trying to do this with a registry entry or with the internet settings gpp. I find no other errors in the eventviewer on their computers (Windows 7), this error I got back when doing an rsop in the GPMC.

Before going further, what's the version of our IE, IE9? If yes, we can try to install the following hotfix to see if it helps.

Internet Explorer Group Policy Preferences do not apply to Internet Explorer 9 in a Windows Server 2008 R2 domain environment

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2530309

Best regards,
    Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 30, 2015 1:25 PM
  • Frank,

Thank you for the reply.

The computers are running Windows 7 with IE8. IE9 has not been deployed, and is not in use.

Monday, February 2, 2015 11:58 AM
  • Hi,

Based on the description, to test if it's related to the homepage itself, we can try to temporarily set it another homepage to see if the issue persists. Besides, please make sure that the following setting is not enabled: User Configuration\Policies\Administrative Templates \Windows Components\ Internet Explorer\Disable changing homepage settings.

Best regards,

Frank Shen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, February 5, 2015 10:11 AM
  • Frank,

I have already tried with different homepages, same result.

Also, that settings is not set, the users can change the homepage freely.

Friday, February 13, 2015 8:46 AM
  • Did you check at the gpresult output, whether this policy is applied on the client ?

Regards, Prabhu

Friday, February 13, 2015 9:08 AM