none
MS Project to schedule a task when ALL resources are available RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need MS Project 2013 to schedule a task when all assigned resources are available.

Let's consider this example:

I want to set-up a meeting with 3 peoples (resources).

All these resources may be in holidays some time, and this is set in MS project calendar.

Now, I want this meeting to be automatically planned when these 3 resources are all together available!

Is there a way to do this ?

Thank you, Fred

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 6:45 AM

Answers

• Pardon me for bumping in - particularly with bad news. There are only work-arounds like leveling or task calendars to make this work.  The ability to "force" Project to schedule resources at the same time has long been on the "wish list" for Project users. 

You can create a calendar that combines the non-working time from all 3 resources and assign that calendar to the meeting.  Select "scheduling ignores resource calendars".  You'll still need to monitor the meeting in the Task Usage view to make sure all resources are scheduled at the same time.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi Fred,

Let's consider the example in the screenshot below. 3 resources are assigned to 3 tasks and you plan a meeting where you do need the 3 resources to be attending. I'd suggest to insert the "priority" column and setting a low priority to the meeting so it will be the task which will be moved versus the 3 another tasks. Then open the leveling dialog box and choose to level on the priority column and UNCHECK "leveling can adjust individual assignments on tasks".

Doing this, Project will move the lowest priority task (meeting) when the 3 resources will be all available.

Note that the "red guy" showing the overallocation has disappeared.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:30 AM
  • Hi Guillaume,

I appreciate very much your help;

Unfortunately, this doesn't really work as I expect;

If I start from your example and do the following:

Set A to be OFF from 9 to 13 March

Set B to be OFF from 2 to 6 March

Then, remove lags in tasks 2 and 3, then the task "MEETING" is scheduled during the week A is OFF.

There, I would have expected tasks "MEETING" to be scheduled for 16 March...

Any other idea?

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 12:39 PM
  • Hi Fred,

If I take your example, here is what we have before leveling, am I right?

Then I run the resource leveling with the parameters I mentionned above and here is what I get. The meeting has moved to March 16 as expected.

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 12:49 PM
  • Pardon me for bumping in - particularly with bad news. There are only work-arounds like leveling or task calendars to make this work.  The ability to "force" Project to schedule resources at the same time has long been on the "wish list" for Project users. 

You can create a calendar that combines the non-working time from all 3 resources and assign that calendar to the meeting.  Select "scheduling ignores resource calendars".  You'll still need to monitor the meeting in the Task Usage view to make sure all resources are scheduled at the same time.

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 3:06 PM
  • Hello,

Guillaume, your solution -which I recommend in all my courses - works perfectly when the unavailability is caused by overallocation (due to the other tasks) but it does not work when the unavailability is caused by nonworking time in the resource' calendar :-( 

Greetings,

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 8:42 PM
  • Indeed you're right Jan and Julie. Thanks for bringing your experience here!

Hope this helps,

Tuesday, March 3, 2015 9:45 PM
  • Hello,

Thank you all for these inputs.

I believe I have found another work around... not perfect ... but it seems to work.

I created as many tasks as I have participants in the task "MEETING", assigning one resource per task.

All these tasks have the same starting predecessor, which is when I want the "MEETING" to occur the earliest.

Then I set as predecessor to the "MEETING" on all these newly created tasks.... and there it takes care of the non working times of the calendar!

In this sample, I defined the following non-working time:

A is not working from 2 to 6 March

B is not working from 9 to 12 March

C is not working from 11 to 16 March

So, the earliest date everybody are available is 17th March!

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 8:59 AM