none
Microsoft Virtual PC won't launch RRS feed

• Question

• So about a couple weeks ago I was trying to open Virtual PC but whenever I do so it doesn't but the program name remains in the taskbar (even though if I click it several times it would automatically close). Is there any method to fix this issue? Because I want to look forward to installing my three systems on it.
    Monday, October 9, 2017 4:28 AM

All replies

• Troubleshooting Windows Virtual PC

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:05 AM
  • Virtual PC is very demanding on hardware and has very strict timing. This can either be caused when the laptop changes the CPU frequency too often, or when the laptop actually powers down sections of the system that we are dependent on in order to conserve power.

I suggest you can take these steps to troubleshoot this issue:

1.Install the laptop manufacturer’s power management tools. 

2.Check for any bios updates available for your laptop. 

3.Make sure that your hardware support HAV.

You can use the Microsoft hardware-assisted virtualization detection tool to determine whether your processor supports the HAV feature. To download this tool, visit the following Microsoft Web site

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=592

3. Enable the HAV feature in bios.

4.If you recently updated your system, you can perform a system restore to the previous point.

If the above suggestions don’t help, you can try:

STEP1: Before re-installing VPC and XPM, copy the problem virtual drive to another location. The vhd-file you have to copy is C:\Users\Your_Username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Virtual PC\Virtual Machines\Windows XP Mode.vhd

STEP2: After re-installing, go to the new XP Mode's settings, choose Hard Disk 2 and mount the old XP Mode vhd-file as a second hard disk:

STEP3: Boot your new XP Mode, move files you need from E: (default Hard Disk 2 in XP Mode) to C:

STEP4: Turn off the XP Mode, go back to settings and unmount the Hard Disk 2. Afterwards you can delete the old XPM vhd-file. Please remember you have to uninstall Virtual PC and XP Mode before reinstalling. 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 5:46 AM