none
Timescale display - Week Numbers Bug RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Using MS Project 2010 Standard.

If I set the top tier (of 3) on the Gant Chart timescale to "week number", this works fine, but when I zoom out of the Gant Chart the top tier changes from week number to date and stays that way, even if I zoom back in again.

Is this a bug?

Thanks

JON

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 11:12 AM

All replies

• Hi Jon,

The timescale has always been unpredictable.

As soon as you zoom (in or out), you'll loose your timescale settings and zooming back won't recovered the initial settings. We used to develop a VB macro attached to a button to automatically format the timescale.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 12:00 PM
  • Thanks for your reply Guillaume.

You are seeing the same problem.

Should this be reported as a bug?  If so how please?

Thanks

JON

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 2:49 PM
  • Unfortunately this is not a bug, this is by design. The timescale feature in the "view" tab of the ribbon might help, evenif it won't give you back the initial setting.

Please mark helpful reply as an answer (evenif it was not what you expected) so other users with a similar concern can refer to it.

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, March 4, 2015 2:53 PM
  • I'm surprised that something that causes a problem was built in by design. I require week numbers permanently along the timescale as this is how my colleagues in Germany and Holland work and I don't want to have to reset their display every time I give them a file.

Thanks for your guidance though Guillaume. Have a good day.

JON

Thursday, March 5, 2015 7:49 AM
  • Hi JON,

I do agree with you. That's why you can propose a macro added to a custom button in the ribbon. It could look like this:

Sub Timescale()
        TimescaleEdit MajorUnits:=1, MajorLabel:=3, MinorLabel:=69, MinorTicks:=True, Enlarge:=150, Separator:=True, MajorUseFY:=True, MinorUseFY:=True, TierCount:=2
    End Sub
    You'll have to work a bit on it (I'm not a developer so what I do is very basic) but this should work.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, March 5, 2015 8:09 AM
  • jonbylo --

Pardon me for bumping into this thread, but I think there is a simple solution to this problem.  Make a copy of the Gantt Chart view and name it something like Gantt with 3-Tiered Timescale.  In the new custom view, add the third tier to the Timescale and set the level of zoom at which you want to see it in the project.  Do not change the level of zoom for this custom view.  Only apply the view when you need it; otherwise, always use the regular Gantt Chart view.  I tried this and it works without affecting the Gantt Chart view or being affected by the Gantt Chart view.  Just a thought.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, March 5, 2015 2:05 PM