Moving public folders to new server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, I know there are several topics about this already, but the answers are quite vague.

1. I need to move public folders from Server A to Server B. The common answer I have seen to do this is the moveallreplicas script. What I am wondering is, is it literally I just run the script and the database gets moved? There is no prep work required or any other steps involved with moving the public folders/database?
    2. Is there downtime while the script runs and folders/database is moved?
    Friday, October 30, 2015 7:35 PM

Answers

• 1.  I don't like the MoveAllReplicas script.  I recommend that you use the AddReplicaToPFRecursive to add Server B to the replica list.  Once everything has replicated, use the RemoveReplicaToPFRecursive script to remove the replicas from Server A.  In terms of prep, of course you must create a new public folder database and mount it.  At some point after that, you'll want to change your PublicFolderDatabase property on your mailbox databases to point to the new public folder database.

When using the script, run it twice, once for TopPublicFolder "\" and once for "\NON_IPM_SUBTREE".

2. None at all.

This move may not complete without problems.  For example sometimes folders get stuck on the old server and won't leave.  If you have problems like that, post back with your specific problems if you can't find answers by searching.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

• Proposed as answer by Prem P Rana Sunday, November 1, 2015 5:38 AM
    • Marked as answer by Igotquestions Friday, November 6, 2015 2:06 PM
    Friday, October 30, 2015 8:07 PM
  • Hi,

As additional, we need use AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 to move all public folder hierarchy to new server before run moveallreplicas.ps1.  Here's article about move public folder with PS, for your reference: http://smtp25.blogspot.com/2011/08/move-public-folders-all-replica-to.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang
    TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Prem P Rana Friday, November 6, 2015 10:32 AM
    Monday, November 2, 2015 3:22 AM
  • Before I would do that, I would verify that the content has replicated by running Get-PublicFolderStatistics on both servers and comparing the figures.  When it looks like all (or nearly all) content has replicated, you can test access and then remove the old replicas.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 5:03 PM

All replies

• 1.  I don't like the MoveAllReplicas script.  I recommend that you use the AddReplicaToPFRecursive to add Server B to the replica list.  Once everything has replicated, use the RemoveReplicaToPFRecursive script to remove the replicas from Server A.  In terms of prep, of course you must create a new public folder database and mount it.  At some point after that, you'll want to change your PublicFolderDatabase property on your mailbox databases to point to the new public folder database.

When using the script, run it twice, once for TopPublicFolder "\" and once for "\NON_IPM_SUBTREE".

2. None at all.

This move may not complete without problems.  For example sometimes folders get stuck on the old server and won't leave.  If you have problems like that, post back with your specific problems if you can't find answers by searching.

• Proposed as answer by Prem P Rana Sunday, November 1, 2015 5:38 AM
    Friday, October 30, 2015 8:07 PM
  • Hi,

As additional, we need use AddReplicaToPFRecursive.ps1 to move all public folder hierarchy to new server before run moveallreplicas.ps1.  Here's article about move public folder with PS, for your reference: http://smtp25.blogspot.com/2011/08/move-public-folders-all-replica-to.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Allen Wang

Monday, November 2, 2015 3:22 AM
  • I hope the above suggestion clarifies your concern.

Move Public Folder Content from One Public Folder Database to Another Public Folder Database: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb331970.aspx

How to move public folder from one Exchange server to another Exchange server: http://sharadtech.blogspot.in/2011/11/hot-to-move-public-folder-from-one.html

Scripts for Managing Public Folders in the Exchange Management Shell

This script will run compare public folder item counts for all public folders on two different servers and will output the folders that are not fully replicated including the missing item counts for each folder: https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/Exchange-2007-2010-2013-3a480e49

Hope this helps!

Cloud migration can be a tedious task without the right solution. Lepide Meteor suite has all you need to analyze/upgrade/migrate your current Exchange environment to Office 365 and also helps you migrate any legacy File Servers, SharePoint and Public Folders to SharePoint, Office 365 or OneDrive as required.

Monday, November 2, 2015 8:06 AM
  • Just to clarify, Allen, the AddReplicaToPFRecursive does not add the hierarchy to the new server, the hierarchy should replicate to the new public folder database automatically.  You can help it along a little by using Update-PublicFolderHierarchy, and you can run Get-PublicFolder -Identity \ -Recurse on the new server to verify that the hierarchy has replicated to it.

Monday, November 2, 2015 5:18 PM
  • Hi Ed,

Thank you for your remind.
    @Igotquestions, is there any update about this issue?

Allen Wang

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 1:16 AM
  • Hi Everyone, thank you for the information. Very helpful. I'm going to work on it this week and will post results or issues I experience.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 2:59 PM
  • Ok so I have the addreplicatopfrecursive script running and it appears to be working. Once it completes how do I know when I am safe to run the RemoveReplicaToPFRecursive  script?
    Tuesday, November 3, 2015 4:23 PM
  • Before I would do that, I would verify that the content has replicated by running Get-PublicFolderStatistics on both servers and comparing the figures.  When it looks like all (or nearly all) content has replicated, you can test access and then remove the old replicas.

Tuesday, November 3, 2015 5:03 PM
  • Hello, I successfully completed the move. Thanks for the help!
    Friday, November 6, 2015 2:06 PM
  • You're welcome.  Happy to have helped!

Friday, November 6, 2015 11:41 PM