[SOLVED] Reinstalling Windows Built-In Apps With Add-AppxPackage Cmdlet on Windows 10 version 1511 (build 10586.36) Brakes The Apps. Fixing Builtin Windows Apps Not Starting After Reregistering With Add-AppxPackage RRS feed

• Question

• Howdy,

After updating Windows 10 I noticed all my Windows store apps became inactive and stopped working. 

I was trying to reregister all Windows Store apps on my system using the following cmdlet:

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

and...

This only got things even worse.

Now almost all Windows built-in apps like Windows Store, Goove, Microsoft.GetStarted, etc. don't work. Those apps purchased by me were not reinstalled.

How do I fix that.

Attempting to reinstall built-in apps one by one results in error. For example, that's what I get for Windows Store:

S C:\Windows\system32> Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Window
    Store_2015.25.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\AppXManifest.xml"
    dd-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.
    erge Failure : error 0x80070003 : Cannot register the Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.15.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe package b
    cause there was a merge failure with the following file: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore_2015.25.1
    .0_neutral_split.language-ru_8wekyb3d8bbwe\resources.pri
    OTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 8848c3b6-5164-0000-d575-49886451d101 in the Event Log or use th
     command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 8848c3b6-5164-0000-d575-49886451d101
    t line:1 char:1
     Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "C:\Program Files\W ...
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
       + CategoryInfo          : WriteError: (C:\Program File...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], IOException
       + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackageCommand

What does the HRESULT 0x80073CF6 mean in this case?

My Microsoft account is okay, because I've used it with no issues and was able to install new apps before I ran that PowerShell command. Heck! 

This post on Serverfault seconds the issue.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

• Changed type ZigZag3143x Monday, January 18, 2016 11:27 AM Not a question
    • Changed type Exotic Hadron Monday, January 18, 2016 3:01 PM
    • Edited by Exotic Hadron Monday, January 18, 2016 3:03 PM
    Monday, January 18, 2016 9:17 AM

Answers

• This is awkward.

I have finally resorted to reinstalling windows by pseudoudating it using the same version 1511 build 10586.0 ISO file that I have used to upgrade Build 10240.

Since I am running a VHDX install, I attached the VHDX to a VM and ran setup.exe, then chose to Keep app settings. When Windows Setup finished, I have found built-in Windows Apps restored and working. Then I ran Windows Store and checked for updates. There were updated versions of built-in Windows Apps available.

My custom purchased Windows Apps were not fixed! I have found that in order to reinstall these apps I do NOT have to uninstall them first. All I had to do to get the custom purchased apps working was to go to Windows Store, search for the app name and click Install. Once such an app installs, its tile on the Start screen becomes active (previously they were blank as if there were no app resources).

I believe this is a serious issue with Add-AppxPackage concerning 1511 behavior. Please, Microsoft state it somewhere that users MUST NOT use Add-AppxPackage to reinstall built-in apps!

There are numerous answers over at this forum that were given by Microsoft Contingent Staff and that guide users to use Add-AppxPackage to reinstall builtin Windows Apps. Doing so will brake the apps.

Please fix this ASAP!

EH

P.S.: I have seen a number of suggestions here and there to use DISM or SFC to fix this issue. Like

sfc /scannow

or

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

or even some ppl were suggesting

net stop wuauserv

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

net start wuauserv

They are all incorrect. All these actions have nothing to do with Windows Apps and the Store. All these commands do is reinstall Windows packages that could be reinstalled with Package Manager in previous versions of Windows. But these are Windows components like Hyper-V, etc., not Windows Store apps.

Once again, I do not believe DISM could somehow touch Windows Store, don't waste your time.

Monday, January 18, 2016 3:01 PM

All replies

• I've verified the owner of the key

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel\Repository\Packages

And it's all correct: SYSTEM.

I wonder, how else could I reinstall apps without reinstalling Windows?

Monday, January 18, 2016 9:19 AM
  • I've also tried this to no avail:

((Get-ChildItem “HKLM:SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Appx\AppxAllUserStore\InboxApplications”) | Get-ItemProperty).Path | Add-AppxPackage -Register -DisableDevelopmentMode

Monday, January 18, 2016 9:34 AM
  • Looks like this is the issue with the latest Version 1511 Build 10586.63.

Any thoughts on fixing it?

Monday, January 18, 2016 10:03 AM
  • This is awkward.

I have finally resorted to reinstalling windows by pseudoudating it using the same version 1511 build 10586.0 ISO file that I have used to upgrade Build 10240.

Since I am running a VHDX install, I attached the VHDX to a VM and ran setup.exe, then chose to Keep app settings. When Windows Setup finished, I have found built-in Windows Apps restored and working. Then I ran Windows Store and checked for updates. There were updated versions of built-in Windows Apps available.

My custom purchased Windows Apps were not fixed! I have found that in order to reinstall these apps I do NOT have to uninstall them first. All I had to do to get the custom purchased apps working was to go to Windows Store, search for the app name and click Install. Once such an app installs, its tile on the Start screen becomes active (previously they were blank as if there were no app resources).

I believe this is a serious issue with Add-AppxPackage concerning 1511 behavior. Please, Microsoft state it somewhere that users MUST NOT use Add-AppxPackage to reinstall built-in apps!

There are numerous answers over at this forum that were given by Microsoft Contingent Staff and that guide users to use Add-AppxPackage to reinstall builtin Windows Apps. Doing so will brake the apps.

Please fix this ASAP!

EH

P.S.: I have seen a number of suggestions here and there to use DISM or SFC to fix this issue. Like

sfc /scannow

or

dism /online /cleanup-image /startcomponentcleanup

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

or even some ppl were suggesting

net stop wuauserv

ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

net start wuauserv

They are all incorrect. All these actions have nothing to do with Windows Apps and the Store. All these commands do is reinstall Windows packages that could be reinstalled with Package Manager in previous versions of Windows. But these are Windows components like Hyper-V, etc., not Windows Store apps.

Once again, I do not believe DISM could somehow touch Windows Store, don't waste your time.

Monday, January 18, 2016 3:01 PM
  • Hi Exotic,

Thanks for your sharing.

Dism would fix Windows Update components, which is also used for Windows Store updates.

So I think DISM should have effects regarding reparing the system.

Regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 5:42 AM