none
SCCM1511 - Setting Computer name - Task Sequence Variable "Name" - Failing - Added Details RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We are building a W10 image with sccm1511 as the deployment tool and have basic success deploying basically the raw W10 ISO.  Now we are trying to build upon our success.

Why would this task sequence fail in SCCM 1511 with Windows 10?  It works in SCCM2012 with Windows 7 64bit no problem! 

ADD DETAILS:  Form the machine being imaged.

Windows could not parse or process the unattetnd answer file for pass [specialize].  The settings specified in the answer file cannot be applied.  The error was detected while processing settings for component [Microsoft-Windows-Shell-Setup].

In SCCM2012 we name our computers with a "Set Task Sequence Variable.

Computer Name (Laptop) - Name

OSDComputername - Is set as the Task Sequence Variable

W7L-%SERIALNUMBER% - Is set as the value.

Thank you,

Tony H.

Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:05 PM

Answers

• We were never able to access logs with this machine and in this scenario.   Again the O/S would loop.  No key combination... whatever would let us see logs. 

Resolution:

Added "MDT\Gather" task sequence before name task sequences.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 11:44 PM

All replies

• I am surprised that worked since typically W7L-%SERIALNUMBER% would be longer than 15 characters. Do you have logs?

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Thursday, May 26, 2016 6:49 PM
  • The S/N is typically 8 characters... Are there logs in SCCM we can look at, the machine does not allow us to the command prompt.

Added more details above.

Friday, May 27, 2016 4:12 PM
  • We may not have the MDT Toolkit package installed in our new SCCM build.

Tony.

Monday, May 30, 2016 3:44 PM
  • That seems like an important troubleshooting step.

Many questions such as where do I find logs and what logs are interesting are found in: MDT TechNet Forum - FAQ & Getting Started Guide Please take the time to read it. Also if you don't post logs your problem won't be easily solved.

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 5:00 PM
  • Hello Ty,

I would like to post a log however we cannot access the hard disk as there apparently is no longer a safe mode in windows 10. 

When this error occurs the O/S loops.  USB sticks with Windows 10 installed on them do not seem to boot, (Windows 7 usb boot media which was modified to include USB 3.0 support which normally boot also do not). I suspect secure boot may be the cause.

Are task sequence log results placed on the primary site server?  I tried Google... it keeps sending me to client logs on the machine.

Tony

Thursday, June 2, 2016 11:08 PM
  • You should be able to boot into WinPE and access the logs.

Thursday, June 2, 2016 11:32 PM
  • We were never able to access logs with this machine and in this scenario.   Again the O/S would loop.  No key combination... whatever would let us see logs. 

Resolution:

Added "MDT\Gather" task sequence before name task sequences.

Thursday, June 9, 2016 11:44 PM