none
Make Adobe Reader DC the default .pdf reader.

Question

• I can't for the life of me figure out how to make Adobe Reader DC the default .pdf handler for every profile on a Windows 10 machine at first logon. I've searched high and low but have found nothing. I've tried:

- Configuring group policy to use an .XML file with default file assocations

- Configuring group policy to change the "open with" in Control Panel > Folder options.

- Put the registry key "NotOpenWith" in HKEY_CURRENT USER > Software > Classes > (The app for Edge) to stop Edge from ever opening a .pdf.

- Attempted to use command lines to change the file association.

We use a transform file for Reader which is supposed to make Reader the default but Edge always hijacks (reverts) the default association. There are some changes that will work eventually but never when someone logs in for the first time.

I found another Adobe article which even says it doesn't work the first time and that the computer may need to restart a couple of times but was wondering if anyone came across anything that could help.

Thursday, September 08, 2016 12:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Let us do a test for troubleshooting to check if the problem is caused by group policy or Adobe Reader:
    Please configure another viewer (instead of Adobe Reader) for PDF file via group policy or registry item to test if it works well.
    If the test works, the problem seems to be caused by Adobe Reader and you might need to involve Adobe vendor or post the questions in Adobe website to get more help from them.
    Here is an article regarding to set the Default PDF Viewer, please refer to:
    https://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/pdfviewer.html
    Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 09, 2016 2:35 AM
  • Hey Wendy, 

I started with Adobe. Here is the link for my original post. 

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2205208

Here is the quote from Adobe article:

"As of 5th Feb 2016, it is a known limitation of Windows 10 that when new user is created on the machine after enforcing the GPO Policy, then on first login ownership is not set. However, the correct settings are applied on subsequent logins." 

So... I was wondering if anyone found a different way to apply these changes at the first login. 

Friday, September 09, 2016 1:43 PM
  • Hi,
    Based on my research, I have not seen the information from the official documents. In my opinion, you could post this questions in Windows10 forum to verify it:
    https://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/home?category=windows10itpro
    The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.
    Best regards,
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, September 12, 2016 9:41 AM
  • Thank you, I will do that. 
    Monday, September 12, 2016 12:49 PM
  • Hi,
    We appreciate for your any feedback and update, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact us。

Thank you for understanding.

Best regards,
    Wendy

Wednesday, September 14, 2016 1:45 AM