Vista home premium not booting RRS feed

• Question

• I have a Sony Vaio n250e notebook which came with vista home premium preinstalled.  The notebook has worked fine for over 6 months, and there have been no significant changes made to it for at least a month.  The only hardware change that has been made to it since it was purchased was to replace one of the 512 Mb Ram chips with a 1 Gb chip, but that was at least 3 months ago.

The problem is this.  All of a sudden, the computer stopped booting.  The computer brings up the vista loading screen, the green bar moves for a few seconds, then it goes to a blank screen and stays there, even when left for hours.  I tried to boot the computer up in safe mode, but it hangs up on \windows\system32\drivers\crcdisk.sys .  I've tried booting from last known good configuration, problem is same.  I've seen some other posts with similar problems but all seem to be on home built systems, or systems upgraded from xp to vista or with dual boots or added hardware.  Anyone have any idea what the problem could be that it would come up out of nowhere.
    Sunday, January 6, 2008 10:15 PM

Answers

•  

Hi Ditka78,

Thank you for the post.

The issue is mainly caused by hardware.

I suggest trying the following methods to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

============================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

4. Click Repair your computer. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore ============================================

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next. 

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Method 3: Check Disk

==============

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 

7. Type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER. 

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Microsoft Online Community Support

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:57 AM

All replies

•  

Hi Ditka78,

Thank you for the post.

The issue is mainly caused by hardware.

I suggest trying the following methods to troubleshoot the issue.

Method 1: Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

============================================

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2: Use the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) to run System Restore ============================================

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next 

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on System Restore.

7. Follow the System Restore Wizard instruction as usual and choose the appropriate restore point.

8. Click Finish to restore the system.

Method 3: Check Disk

==============

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next. 

5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next. 

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 

7. Type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER. 

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:57 AM
  • This is the information I was looking for, however I do not have access to a Vista installation disc......nothing arrived with the laptop and I hadn't gotten the chance to create one yet.  Again, this is a Sony VAIO (VGN-FZ140E), and is failing at the exact point as the initial post: crcdisk.sys

Any way to get a Windows Vista Installation disc for this purpose?

Monday, January 14, 2008 1:40 AM
  • Hi tozer9,

Thank you for the post.

To get the Windows Vista installation disk, please contact Sony or Microsoft Customer Service:

Microsoft Customer Service: (800) 426-9400, available from Monday to Friday, from 6:30 A.M. to 5:30 P.M. Pacific Time.

Note: Microsoft Customer Service mainly handles issues regarding replacement manuals, disks, drivers and service packs, product IDs, lost CD keys, product orders, policies related to copying software on additional computers, licensing, and product registration.

If it is inconvenient for you to obtain a Windows Vista disk, you cannot perform the above steps. You may need to restore the system to its factory settings to resolve the issue.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,

Tim Quan

Monday, January 14, 2008 7:53 AM
  • I'm having a very similar issue with my Vista32 Home Premium.  With a normal boot, Vista green loading bar runs, then goes to blank for only 1-2 seconds (which is normal for me), but instead of hanging for hours, I get a quick blue screen and a reboot.  I've also tried the various safe modes but... I don't even get a BSOD, just a reboot.

Unlike Ditka78 / tozer9, I do have a recovery DVD.  Startup Repair has yet to repair anything.  System Restore only showed my most recent restore point the first time I attempted to use it to restore.  It too failed and now lists no restore points.  Chkdsk from the Command Prompt reports no errors with my harddrive.

I'd like to avoid having to format my HD and reinstalling since I've had this Vista for just about a year.  As far as I can tell doing just that is my only remaining option.   Unless I just install linux and shrug....

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 2:42 AM
  •  

Hi,

I have the same problem like "Abrose R". Boot, stop on crcdisk, after that bluescreen and then reboot. After the 3 methods of "Tim Quan" (I had no system "system restore points") the System boots. But the boot ends in a black screen with a white coursor in the middle of the screen. I can go up and down with the coursor but nothing else. What can I do?

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 5:22 PM
  • I'm having the same problem too.  I don't get the blue screen of death, I just get a black screen.  If I boot in Safe mode, I can see the little "Safe mode" notices in the corners of my screen, and a notice saying Microsoft (r) Windows (r) (build 6000) in the top centre.  (If I was Microsoft, I wouldn't want my name on this piece of ***.)  But aside from the cursor, I see nothing.

Tim Quan's claim that this is problem is hardware-related is nonsense.  I haven't changed any hardware for months and this just happens.  It's like the laptops crashing: what's the hardware change?  It's a Microsoft installation gone wrong, one of these midnight downloads that we can't control.

What I'm hearing from this discussion is that there's no solution except a complete rebuild.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008 3:06 PM
  • I dread the answer--what exactly is a complete rebuild?  Can anyone point to a good information source? 

I am having the same problem.  I cannot get any other result other than the dreaded BSOD with the STOP: 0x0000C1F5.

I have a recovery disk but it does not get past the "press any key to boot from cd or dvd"  Once again:  BSOD

Same with trying safe mode.

I would be more than happy to do a complete reinstall...even that is not an option at this point.

Sunday, April 6, 2008 9:35 PM
  •  

I also have a vaio (vaio vgn-fz140e) that does the same thing.  After sp1, there were 3-4 times that when I boot up, vista declared that it needed to recover froma critical error, which it did and then it would boot up successfully.  I have not install anything new, but now it after the boot-up bar, at the point when you would normally see the vista logo, it displays a blank screen but the mouse cursor will move around responding as if there is no problem.  Help!  I was not given a recovery DVD.  Thanks!
    Saturday, April 19, 2008 3:13 AM
  •  

I have a VAIO ( VGN-CR120E) which I bought may be more than 1 year back. It came preloaded with Vista Home without any installation disc or recovery disc. Its not booting properly. When I boot in Safe Mode it stops at crcdisk.sys and shows a blankscreen and restarts again. I tried all boot options but with no success. I dont have access any installation disc to repair my vista. Can someone help me???
    Monday, September 29, 2008 2:50 AM
  • I have a VAIO ( VGN-CR120E) which I bought may be more than 1 year back. It came preloaded with Vista Home without any installation disc or recovery disc. Its not booting properly. When I boot in Safe Mode it stops at crcdisk.sys and shows a blankscreen and restarts again. I tried all boot options but with no success. I dont have access to any installation disc to repair my vista. Can someone help me???

Monday, September 29, 2008 2:55 AM
  • I spent so many hours on a problem just like this. Sought help through forums and tech savvy people. Then I struck gold.  Pull out everything from USB ports. Resorted to an old mouse and keyboard. Booted up and Whooppee!   Should anything be so mysterious,  Hope this helps others.
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 7:40 AM