locked
Outlook 2010 on Windows 10 - no association, upgrade in progress, cannot create mail account RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi

    I am working on a laptop running Windows 10 Professional with Office 2010 Standard (32bit). It's a new laptop and the installation of Office was done a week ago. Today I successfully activated the installation, and uninstalled the Office 2016 language versions that came preinstalled on the laptop (German, French, Italian etc.)

    I am having a lot of trouble creating the first mail account in Outlook. 

    After installation I ran Windows Update and made sure that all the Office updates were installed. When Outlook is started I click File > Info and can see:

    Upgrade in progress
    Your mailbox is currently being optimized...

    and

    Upgrade Outlook Connector
    You must upgrade to the latest version...

    Nothing happens either waiting for the upgrade in progress to finish, and nothing happens when clicking the Upgrade Now button located in the Upgrade Outlook Connector area.

    I downloaded the Outlook Connector and ran it. 

    When I open Outlook after the installation of the connector I see an 'Email' notification that states "There is no email program associated to perform the requested action. Please install an email program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel." 16 clicks on OK finally dismisses it.

    I have changed the Default app for Mail from Windows Mail to Outlook, and checked that the .eml and .pst extensions were associated with Outlook (they were).

    But, I still see the same Email notification. 16 clicks later I click File > Info and see the same 'Upgrade in Progress' and 'Upgrade Outlook Connector' messages.

    I have also tried using the Mail applet in the Users area of Control Panel. This opens, but when I click Mail (32 bit) the 'Mail Setup - Outlook' dialog appears, but the 'E-Mail Accounts...' button does nothing.

    I can't see anything in the Application Event Log apart from the msinstaller actions that finished the installation after the product key was entered.

    Can anyone help me solve this, please?

    Just ask if you need further information.

    Thanks :)

    Monday, July 24, 2017 2:50 PM

Answers

  • I fixed it. I did a 'Repair' of the installation and it now works fine.
    • Marked as answer by Mark-Blood Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:14 AM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:14 AM

All replies

  • I fixed it. I did a 'Repair' of the installation and it now works fine.
    • Marked as answer by Mark-Blood Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:14 AM
    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:14 AM
  • Hi,

    Great to see that the issue has been fixed by repair Office 2010 and thanks for sharing the resolution with us :)

    Best regards,
    Yuki Sun


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Tuesday, July 25, 2017 8:47 AM