none
Booking Time on Recurring Tasks (Project Server 2010) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

We are using recurring tasks in MSP for certain project tasks and require people to book time against these tasks. This worked in 2007, but in 2010 resources are not able to book time on recurring tasks. If you go to the Tasks page, the tasks are visible, but the cells for actual work is not editable - all other tasks' cells are editable. Please advise...

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 7:51 AM

Answers

• Hi Coenraad,

I've just tried it - on my test system the statusing option is set to Free form, and I can fill in any of the relevant fields in the My Tasks page.  Are you sure it's set up correctly (I added my resources to the "summary" recurring task")

Ben Howard [MVP] http://appleparkltd.spaces.live.com/
    Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:38 AM

All replies

• Hi Coenraad,

I've just tried it - on my test system the statusing option is set to Free form, and I can fill in any of the relevant fields in the My Tasks page.  Are you sure it's set up correctly (I added my resources to the "summary" recurring task")

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:38 AM
  • Hi Coenraad,

I can confirm Ben's result with SEM enabled (so task tracking ist set to "Work done per Period"). I can enter actual work. I have also added my resource to the "summary" recurring task".
    If changing tracking method to "Percent work complete", I am not able to enter actuals on any tasks as expected. No difference if it is recurring or not.
    What's your tracking method?

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 8:57 AM
  • Hi

Our tracking method is set to "Hours of work done per period" and we are also using SEM.

We actually assign the resources on the lower level tasks and not the summary task, but I tried it the other way round as well, as well as assignig them on both summary and detail tasks and this does not seem to allow me to book the time either. All other tasks in the schedule works fine for submitting time, just the recurring tasks cause this issue.

What I have found was that, although the summary task is auto scheduled, the detail tasks were not and this created the problem as users cannot book time against manually scheduled tasks.

Regards

Coenraad Swanepoel

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 1:39 PM
  • Hi,

Have you checked the setting - Manually Scheduled tasks can be published to team members? - I'm guessing so or your team members would even be able to see the tasks. 

I can track time against the manually scheduled tasks, even when the resource is assigned to the actual recurring task.  However, the limitation appears to be that I can only update either the %complete or the actual work done, not any of the data in the timephased view?

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 2:50 PM
  • Hi,

that's exactly the behaviour of manually scheduled tasks. You can enter progress (actula work done or %complete), but no timephased data.

What I am wondering: why are the detail tasks manually scheduled when the summary task is set to auto scheduled? Was that changed manually? In my environment, I set Task Mode to Automatically Scheduled in Additional Server Settings. When I create a new recurring tasks, the single tasks to this one are also auto scheduled?

When I need timephased actual work for a company, I disable "Manually Scheduled tasks can be published to team members" as Ben suggested. So I make sure that team members can't see any tasks they can't enter time for. Moreover PMs get an information that manually scheduled tasks are included.

In addition I have als deactivated "Users can override default in Project Professional" in some cases to avoid any confusion. But that depends on the company's processes.

Regards
    Barbara

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 4:23 PM