none
tasks and resources availability in 1 view RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to see tasks and Resource availability( Vacation) hours in one view in PWA 2010?

Thursday, May 1, 2014 4:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Project Help,

A solution to your need is to navigate to the resource center, select the resource and view availability. Note that it will give you the workload on resources by projects and not task. You'll have to navigate to the resource assignments view to go down to the task level.

Another solution would be to use MS Project Pro, displaying in a splitted window the task usage on top and the resource graph in the lower part.

Finally, you could create a custom SSRS or Excel Services report with the resource and task columns, adding the capacity and work fields.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Thursday, May 1, 2014 4:28 PM
  • Hi 

When assigning a task to a resource how would we know that resource is on vacation?

Friday, May 23, 2014 3:08 PM
  • Unfortunately you cannot visualize in Ms Project Gantt chart that a resource assigned on a task is on vacation.

You have to be careful with the task duration that will be longer than expected. Or I suggest to work in parallel with a custom report.

Hope this helps,

Friday, May 23, 2014 3:58 PM
  • So for an example if a resource is on vacation for a week and as a PM i m trying to assign a task to that particular resource for that period.It will let me to asssign or restrict me to assign?
    Friday, May 23, 2014 4:13 PM
  • Yes it will. But Project Pro will take into account that the resource will be unavailable for 5 working days, meaning that it will automatically move forward the work during the vacation week to the next available day of the resource.

Unfortunately you won't see this in the Gantt chart, meaning that the format bar will not be dotted for example. You'll just see that the end date has been pushed forward, the duration has increased for the same amount of work.

Hope this helps,

Friday, May 23, 2014 4:16 PM