SharePoint 2010 Internet Enterprise uninstall/reinstall with fixed enterprise key fails with error, "conflicts with a previously installed ..." RRS feed

• Question

• In attempting to apply the advice in http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepoint/archive/2010/06/03/sharepoint-server-2010-for-internet-sites-update.aspx, I'm unable to re-install SharePoint 2010 Enterprise for Internet Sites. 

I had a "Server Farm" installation using RTM (from my Select site) that installed all components (i.e., "Complete").  In addition, I had FAST server and Web Apps installed.

Per the instructions, I simply used the Control Panel to do the uninstall:

• Used the Control Panel to uninstall SharePoint 2010 (i.e., yes to "Are you sure you want to remove Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 from your computer")
    • Restart
    • Get new product key
    • Run setup
    • Get error:  "The install in progress conflicts with a previously installed Microsoft Office 2010 Server product"

Perhaps I should have run the configuration wizard first to disconnect, etc. but was trying to follow the provided instructions exactly.

That said ... what can I do to clean up the remnants so I can re-install the product without wiping the server, etc.

Thanks!

P.S.  If the instructions were not intended to be taken literally, please update the post, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepoint/archive/2010/06/03/sharepoint-server-2010-for-internet-sites-update.aspx

Tuesday, June 8, 2010 10:00 PM

All replies

• Hello,

you can:

• Used the Control Panel to uninstall SharePoint 2010 (i.e., yes to "Are you sure you want to remove Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 from your computer")
  • Restart
  • Go disk C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions and delete folder 14
  • Run new setup
Wednesday, June 9, 2010 4:26 AM
  • Per your advice, - Restarted - Deleted “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14” - Restarted - Re-ran setup Unfortunately, the “The install in progress conflicts with a previously installed Microsoft Office 2010 Server product” error persists.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 2:54 PM
  • When I did this I also made sure that the sites were removed from IIS and that the Office Web Applications tool was removed as well, its an add-on that you may have put in after your last SharePoint install to get the Office Tools to work with SharePoint.  When I still had that installed I was still getting that message before.
    Wednesday, June 9, 2010 3:28 PM
  • Thanks ... per your (and Sergey's) advice, I took the following steps:

• Deleted “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\14”
    • From control panel, found and selected "Office Web Apps".  Attempted an "uninstall", which generated the message "Programs and Features: An error occurred while trying to uninstall Microsoft Office Web Apps.  It may have already been uninstalled.  Would you like to remove Microsoft Office Web Apps from the Programs and Features list?"  I responded "Yes."
    • Reviewed the website list in IIS Manager.  All the sites created by SharePoint 2010 were gone, but there were a couple associated with FAST (which had previously been uninstalled via the Control Panel):  "FastSearchAdminServices" and "ResourceStore" (with a path to c:\fastsearch\components\resourcestore).  Deleted both websites from within IIS Manager.
    • Also noticed a "SITE_2" website that was accompanied by the error "The application '/' does not exist."  Presumably this was one of the original SharePoint websites that didn't get cleaned up.  Deleted it from within IIS Manager.
    • Restarted (actually restarted after each of these steps) and re-ran Setup.
    • Unfortunately, the “The install in progress conflicts with a previously installed Microsoft Office 2010 Server product” error persists.

Other advice/ideas?

Wednesday, June 9, 2010 5:18 PM
  • To the Technet/MSDN forum readers:  Just checking in to see if anyone has further advice ...

To the Microsoft SharePoint Team:  It would be great if someone would comment on my "P.S" ... i.e., whether the advice in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2143810 (and your post, http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepoint/archive/2010/06/03/sharepoint-server-2010-for-internet-sites-update.aspx) was intended to be taken literally or did you intend that we follow more standard procedure.  I.e.,

• First, use configuration wizard to "disconnect from this server farm";
    • Then uninstall software using add/remove programs in reverse order of installation (i.e., Web Apps, FAST, then SP);
    • Then re-install with new setup key; and, finally
    • Use configuration wizard to re-connect to server farm. 

If so, then please modify http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2143810 to that effect (so that others don't run into the problem outlined in my post); if not, then there may be a bug in the uninstall routine because it didn't work for me! 

Thanks.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 2:51 PM
  • I don't think I hit this:

From control panel, found and selected "Office Web Apps".  Attempted an "uninstall", which generated the message "Programs and Features: An error occurred while trying to uninstall Microsoft Office Web Apps.  It may have already been uninstalled.  Would you like to remove Microsoft Office Web Apps from the Programs and Features list?"  I responded "Yes."

There may be something still there, probably a registry key, that did not get cleaned up and its getting seen by SharePoint install and preventing a reinstall.  You could look and see if you have any other entries for Office, or if that doesn't work do you have the option to reimage the machine?

Thursday, June 10, 2010 3:55 PM
  • Michael, thanks for your post ...

In response to your suggestion, I deleted a couple of the obvious keys/values:

• Office Server keys (i.e.,  "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server", "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0", "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0\ServerSettings", "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0\Wac", "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office Server\14.0\Wac\Diagnostics"); and, subsequently,
    • A number of Office Server values in "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\Folders".

The SETUP error persists.  In scanning the Registry, there are values throughout that refer to the three Office Server 2010 products involved.  Is there MS documentation about which keys I should focus on?

Of course, re-imaging may be my only option (and as instructed in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2143810, I did a full farm backup first) ... but I wanted to attempt a fix first and share those results with Microsoft so that others can avoid my problem, if at all possible.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:15 PM
  • Can you check if you still have these:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\14.0

Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:46 PM
  • I went to the keys as a last resort, I wanted to avoid doing a reimage since I had other things in place on the server I wanted to keep, just from practice I went through and did all the registry edits myself - anything that looked to be from Office I eliminated.  Anything that was remotely Microsoft related as well I removed, I had a lot of apps in place.  One other item that I had to make sure was removed was the ULS Components, it was something from FAST but it didn't get completely removed on its own either.  I got past this at one point but the machine ended up in a bad state, so I soon after did a reimage.
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 5:51 PM
  • Jie, "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions\14.0" does not exist; the values under "Shared Tools\Web Server Extensions" are "(Default)" and "CheckedHostName" plus an "All Ports" key (with a "(Default)" value).

Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:28 PM
  • Michael, there are a few ULS entries scattered throughout the Registry and I also have a "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ULS\14" folder.  Removing that folder doesn't seem to help.  I've not yet edited out the Registry entries, however.

There are times in this process when I think I'm learning ... at others, simply groping in the dark.  :-)

Thursday, June 10, 2010 6:40 PM
  • To the Technet/MSDN forum readers:  Just checking in to see if anyone has further advice ... or is it time to abandon the work-arounds and re-image?
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 11:45 PM
  • Install the retired Microsoft Installer Cleaner there will be several versions of web apps still installed but not showing in add/remove programs. Worked a charm for me

Robbie

• Proposed as answer by GPP Tech Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:05 AM
    Tuesday, November 16, 2010 12:05 AM
  • I had this exact same problem, went through all the solutions above and nothing worked.

I then changed the Application Pool defaults in IIS back to .net 2.0 instead of 4.0 and it worked.

It might be something else to try...

Saturday, April 23, 2011 2:29 AM
  • I had the same problem.

Found a solution the worked for me at http://support.risualblogs.com/blog/2011/04/18/issue-reinstalling-sharepoint-after-uninstalling-office-web-apps/

MsiExec.exe /X{90140000-1141-0401-1000-0000000FF1CE}

pause

MsiExec.exe /X{90140000-1141-0407-1000-0000000FF1CE}

pause

MsiExec.exe /X{90140000-1141-0409-1000-0000000FF1CE}

pause

MsiExec.exe /X{90140000-1141-0419-1000-0000000FF1CE}

pause

MsiExec.exe /X{90140000-1141-0C0A-1000-0000000FF1CE}

pause

MsiExec.exe /X{90140000-1141-040C-1000-0000000FF1CE}

pause

MsiExec.exe /X{90140000-1144-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE}

pause

MsiExec.exe /X{90140000-1145-0409-1000-0000000FF1CE}

pause

MsiExec.exe /X{90140000-112D-0000-1000-0000000FF1CE}

pause

Monday, October 3, 2011 6:08 PM
  • I was experiencing the same problem and got this fixed with Microsoft fix it.. give it a try.. :)

Kesava

Thursday, August 16, 2012 11:14 AM