none
External time server

Question

• Hello All,

I want to configure the NTP Server appliance based (configured internally with local IP and properly pingable from the domain controller) on our Active Directory Server on windows 2016; I ran the below commands;

w32tm /config "/manualpeerlist:<NTP Server IP>" /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update

and then net stop w32time & net start w32time command but when I am querying the NTP server, it is still pointing to local CMOS and not the NTP server IP address. Please guide what to do? May be i am missing some configuration.

Regards,

Wednesday, April 19, 2017 5:41 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    Let us confirm something as below:
    1. Please run the command on the PDC, is windows server 2016 running as PDC?
    2. Please try to replace <NTP Server IP> with time server name in the command.
    After running this command on the PDC, you should run the following command on all other DCs (that are not PDC):  
    w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update
    Once done, restart W32Time service.
    3. If the DC is not synchronizing time with the external NTP server, then check if there are any related event logs.
    In addition, you could have a try using group policy to configure external time server for DC, you could refer to the details step by step from the following article:
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/nepapfe/2013/03/01/its-simple-time-configuration-in-active-directory/
    Best regards, 
    Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, April 20, 2017 8:07 AM