none
Add Domain User to Local Group with SID RRS feed

• Question

• Hello

I try to add a domain User to local administrator group

We are a intertanional Company (Austria French Sweeden)

The commandline is: net localgroup s-1-5-32-544 domain\user /add

i recive the error

System Error 1376 has occurred

The specified local group does not exist

Please helpe

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 1:18 PM

Answers

All replies

• Why do you need to use SID? Where is group located?  Do you have proper name resolution?

Santhosh Sivarajan | MCTS, MCSE (W2K3/W2K/NT4), MCSA (W2K3/W2K/MSG), CCNA, Network+ Houston, TX http://blogs.sivarajan.com/ http://publications.sivarajan.com/ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:40 PM
  • I'm not sure why you are using the SID to try to get this user in the local group.  Try this:

net localgroup Administrators /add domain\username

This should get your domain users into the local admin group.  If possible always use the name rather than the SID. 

Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:48 PM
  • Explanation

You might be trying to log on interactively to a computer you can only access over a network, or vice versa.

User Action

Change your logon location. Try to log on either locally (interactively) or remotely (over the network), as appropriate. You might want to ask the person who administers computer security to change the security database so you can log on either locally or remotely.

Resource:

Source: Security Event ID 376

Best Regards

Dale

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 5:08 AM
  • I need sid because we install the computers wits SCCM OSD and the admin group is in serveral contrys not administrators named
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 6:07 AM
  • Is it possible to use SID with net localgroup?????????????????
    Wednesday, April 21, 2010 12:43 PM
  • "Net localgroup" allows adding a domain local group from a trusted domain. The membership is there but will never work as the SID will not appear in the access token of a user or computer connecting to the machine. the security identifier (SID) of the domain controller is not identified in the operation. For more reference, please see:

Domain local group from foreign domain can be added using "net localgroup" and GC search

Best Regards

Dale

Thursday, April 22, 2010 5:34 AM
  • HI,

The provided link is not working.

I am also getting same error.

In my VMWare setup,

I am trying to add the User to "Local Administrator" group of AD Server [Windows12 R2 Server] through PsExec tool.

While trying to run this command through elevated command prompt, I am being prompted with error as :

" System error 1376 has occurred.
    The specified local group does not exist.
    net exited on dc1 with error code 2. "

Thanks,

Aniket Bhosale.

Wednesday, March 8, 2017 8:36 AM
  • I see this post is close to 8 years old, but I recently had the same issue as you describe. I ended up solving it like this:

NET Localgroup | FIND "Administrators" >NUL
    IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (
    SET _AdministratorGroup=Administrators
    ) ELSE (
    SET _AdministratorGroup=Administratorer
    )
    NET Localgroup %_AdministratorGroup% NewAdminAccount /ADD >NUL

We deploy our OS in Norwegian and English. Therefore, my logic is very basic. The script checks if the "Administrators" group exist, if not found, it defaults to the "Administratorer" group. 

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 9:11 AM
  • Hi,

Your solution will work only for two groups.

The correct way would be something like this:

$Group = Get-WmiObject -Query "Select * From Win32_Group Where LocalAccount = TRUE And SID = 'S-1-5-32-544'"
    $GroupName = $Group.Name
    Start-Process -FilePath "NET" -ArgumentList "Localgroup $GroupName NewAdminAccount /ADD"

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 2:29 PM