none
*RESOLVED* Media Center "Tuner Not Found" error, "Receiver service has stopped" RRS feed

• Question

• Fix for "Tuner Not Found" error and "Receiver service has stopped working" error listed in next post!
    --

Errors I'm receiving:

"Tuner Not Found"
    "Windows Media Center Receiver Service has stopped working."
    "Welcome - An upgrade is currently in progress."

Specs

Intel P4 3GHz
    2GB RAM
    VisionTek Radeon X1300
    Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 PCI II
    Windows 7 32bit

1. Tuner Not Found

Okay, the entire install went without a hitch. On opening Media Center I was told that I needed to setup Live TV. When I click the link I was given the dreaded "The TV signal cannot be configured because no tuner hardware was detected." If I run WinTV from Hauppauge I can view TV just fine.

MCE ran fine this morning on Vista SP1 before the install.

For the tuner issue I have done the following:

-Reseated the card
    -Updated the drivers
    -Uninstalled the hardware and rescanned/installed the hardware and drivers
    -All Windows Updates
    -Uninstalled all references to Hauppauge on the machine and installed JUST the drivers, no Hauppauge software
    -Adjusted Log On preferences for Windows Media Center services to Local and manually started ehrecvr and ehsched along with cmd line manual starts
    -Downloaded new codecs from WinDVD and MSFT
    -Run the WMC Decoder Checkup Utility from MSFT and changed to Miscrosoft DTV-DVD Video Decoder (the utility recommended I change to this -- only one that is MCE compatible -- but once I did it told me that it is incompatible with sync on WMP10 and that I should not use it.)

2. Windows Media Center Receiver has stopped working

Every time I close WMC I get this error. Sometime two or three windows will pop up alerting me that it has failed and will be closed. Sometime when I manually start the service from the services screen it fails.

3. Upgrade in progress

My next issue started on the second time opening WMC (and every time since then -- On BOTH desktop AND 360 extender) I get this windows from inside WMC:

"Welcome - An upgrade is currently in progress. Select one of the following options:"
    -Continue to display the Start menu
    -Wait until the upgrade is complete

If I select Continue to Start menu I can utilize WMC. If I choose to wait I get a loading donut for up to 5 minutes in which it may lock up the program.

I have never run into this message before and no matter how long I wait, how many times I reset the computer I keep getting this message when I open WMC even on the 360.

Any help would be awesome! Thanks!

Robert
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:28 AM

Answers

• Okay, I resolved the first two issues, Tuner error and ehrecvr error.

It had to do with multiple Admin user accounts on my computer. My computer was originally set up with a user Robert Baker with full privileges as administrator. I then also set up a MediaCenter account with full privilidges. For whatever reason the MediaCenter account has access to EVERY action on the computer except starting the ehrecvr service.

1.  First set Media Center Service Launcher to log on at NT Authority
        Services > Right-Click Windows Media Center Service Launcher > Properties > Log On tab > Log On As 'This account: ' > Type " NT AUTHORITY/LocalService " > Click Apply > General tab > Start service.

2. I then set the Media Center Scheduler Service AND Media Center Receiver Service to log on as my other admin account. Same as above but with other account credentials and started the services.

3. Reboot and no ehrecvr errors. Since this was a good sign I tried WMC and was able to set up my TV fine.

I STILL, however, get the "Upgrade in progress" message when I open Media Center. Anyone know how to fix that? I've run setup again and can't get rid of it.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:20 PM

All replies

It had to do with multiple Admin user accounts on my computer. My computer was originally set up with a user Robert Baker with full privileges as administrator. I then also set up a MediaCenter account with full privilidges. For whatever reason the MediaCenter account has access to EVERY action on the computer except starting the ehrecvr service.

Services > Right-Click Windows Media Center Service Launcher > Properties > Log On tab > Log On As 'This account: ' > Type " NT AUTHORITY/LocalService " > Click Apply > General tab > Start service.

2. I then set the Media Center Scheduler Service AND Media Center Receiver Service to log on as my other admin account. Same as above but with other account credentials and started the services.

3. Reboot and no ehrecvr errors. Since this was a good sign I tried WMC and was able to set up my TV fine.

I STILL, however, get the "Upgrade in progress" message when I open Media Center. Anyone know how to fix that? I've run setup again and can't get rid of it.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 5:20 PM

I am having the Update in progress as well. It also shows on my xbox 360 extender as well as my windows 7 beta machine. Very annoying. Any fixes for this yet?

Rene
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 9:09 AM
  • Ach, There is no "Windows Media Center Service Launcher" but I changed "Windows MEdia Center Receiver service" to local logon account. That got me nowhere! 

So I am stuck using the hauppauge wintv7, which works a charm, but of course, I can't get TV on my Xbox360 now.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 9:20 PM
  • Thanks for leading me down the correct path. I was getting turner not found and discovered that the receiver service was set to start with the Network Service which will not work on a highly locked down system.

Sean

Sunday, February 12, 2012 4:54 PM
  • A HUGE "Thank You" Robert!  I had the tuner not found problem after upgrading on release day  from Windows 7 to Windows 8.   Based on your note above, I got into the local services and noticed that the two services were marked to log on as "network service".   I changed them both to logon as  "local system" and all is well.   I know this is not exactly what you did, but you certainly pointed me in the right direction.  Thanks again! 
    Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:21 AM
  • A HUGE "Thank You" Robert!  I had the tuner not found problem after upgrading on release day  from Windows 7 to Windows 8.   Based on your note above, I got into the local services and noticed that the two services were marked to log on as "network service".   I changed them both to logon as  "local system" and all is well.   I know this is not exactly what you did, but you certainly pointed me in the right direction.  Thanks again! 

After two days of frustration I came across your post and was filled with hope... but alas my Windows upgrade experience is becoming the bane of my life.  I changed the Windows Media Scheduler Service and Windows Media Center Receiver Service to use "local system", restarted but still I get Tuner Not Found errors on two tuners that both worked perfectly on Windows 7.

Looks like it's a reinstall of Windows 7 unless anyone can offer any more pointers?

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 7:20 PM
  • I also am experiencing the same problem...clean install of W8 ....worked at first....now can't start Windows Media Center Receiver Service  ???
    Friday, November 2, 2012 1:23 AM
  • lordjeffers, Stickman7777: I suggest that you repost at the Windows Entertainment and Connected Home forums, there are some Windows Media Center experts there:

http://experts.windows.com/frms/windows_entertainment_and_connected_home/f/114.aspx

Tim De Baets
    http://www.bm-productions.tk

Saturday, November 3, 2012 1:20 PM
  • Had the same issue after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro last week. Upgraded Windows 8 Pro to add Windows Media Center but was unable to add TV. I found that the Windows Media Center Receiver Service was set to Manual and I was unable to start it even as Admin. 

Windows 8 fix:

From an admin account

Start -> Search     for Control Panel.

In the Control Panel window search for Services. Select "View local services"

Right Click on Windows Media Center Receiver Service. Change Startup type to Automatic. Select Log On and select radio button for Log on as: "Local System account" 

Ensure that the service is running before you try and configure local TV. I am using HDHomeRun networked tuners and WMC was able to see them after this change.

You will need to change the scheduler service as well (though you don't need this for tuning)

Sunday, November 4, 2012 1:08 AM
  • Thanks for the idea...but I have tried that along with everything else I have searched for......mine was a clean install and it actually work the first day.....then it started this. No matter what I try I cannot start the service....error code 1067.  I installed WinTV and it works fine....so until this issue gets resolved MC is bye bye for now.
    • Proposed as answer by pinni74 Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:48 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by pinni74 Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:48 AM
    Sunday, November 4, 2012 3:03 AM
  • Stickman7777 my issue was the same as yours error code 1067 - was driving me insane I had 2 identical systems with 2 different tuners so I knew it was safe to say it was not the cards or drivers for it - after reading up and applying the LOCAL ACCOUNT fix still no joy with the 1067 error - to the logs we go (probably where I should have gone first) and I see this:

Faulting application name: ehRecvr.exe, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x501092f1

Faulting module name: lameACM.acm, version: 0.9.1.0, time stamp: 0x46b6cacb

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x00000000000025ef

Faulting process id: 0x1ce4

Faulting application start time: 0x01cdbcc1a5d87afb

Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\ehome\ehRecvr.exe

Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\lameACM.acm

Report Id: e38b303e-28b4-11e2-be6b-0020ed36d51c

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

lameACM.acm............. stupid codecs!
    removed all traces of Shark007 codecs and get the latest Windows 8 package for Shark007 and Roberts your fathers brother! start the receiver service and fire up MCE live tv........
    hope this fixes your issue mate......
    • Proposed as answer by pinni74 Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:53 AM
    Wednesday, November 7, 2012 8:53 AM
  • Pinni74.....may I ask where you looked at log....I do not have a lameACM.acm file in my windows/system32 folder....but I am curious what log you are looking at ?

Thanks

Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:58 AM
  • Stickman7777: it's an event in Event Viewer. Open the Start menu, type event in the Search box, and click on Event Viewer in the list of programs. In Event Viewer, go to Windows Logs - Application, and look for Error items in that list.

Tim De Baets

Wednesday, November 14, 2012 7:22 PM
  • Thanks....when I looked I found out it was :

Faulting application name: ehRecvr.exe, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010938a

Faulting module name: mcmjpg32.dll, version: 3.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x3896e1ef

Exception code: 0xc0000005

Fault offset: 0x0001b070

Faulting process id: 0x1054

Faulting application start time: 0x01cdc9e0ed84df52

Faulting application path: C:\Windows\ehome\ehRecvr.exe

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\mcmjpg32.dll

Report Id: 2b396965-35d4-11e2-afbf-001fd081086f

Faulting package full name:

Faulting package-relative application ID:

So I just renamed the mcmjpg32.dll to mcmjpg32.bak.......all was fixed and it now works again.  I am not sure what this file is or what it was for.....but it never regenerated a new copy of it.

Sunday, November 25, 2012 12:30 AM
  • Stickman7777: it looks like that file is part of the MainConcept MJPG Video Codec (which may have been installed because it was included in a codec pack). Uninstalling that codec/codec pack should also fix the issue.

Tim De Baets

Monday, November 26, 2012 7:06 PM
  • Thanks for the advice to go to the Windows Entertainment site.  Someone posted the answer to the problem I've been having all day at 7:20 pm today.  Just installed the fix and so far, so good.  Would have taken a lot longer without your advice.
    Sunday, January 13, 2013 7:07 AM
  • @ Stickman,

I was hopeful you had the answer for me, but I didn't find mcmjpg32.dll  on my PC.

It's Win 8, Media Center 8, TV setup does not find a connection, even though the WinTV is in Device MGR.

This is the real gotcha, I can choose manual setup, select TV antenna, and it finds one digital channel, and 7 internet channels, but there's no option to check signal strength.

Un-installed and re-installed, same difference!

Thursday, February 28, 2013 10:21 PM
  • can you start a new thread on this? please include info on the exact tuner
    model. also,did you uninstall and then reinstall the tuner driver? what is your
    tv source? was Windows 8 installed as an upgrade?

On Thu, 28 Feb 2013 22:21:49 +0000, angelopcs wrote:

>
    >
    >@ Stickman,
    >
    >I was hopeful you had the answer for me, but I didn't find mcmjpg32.dll  on my PC.
    >
    >It's Win 8, Media Center 8, TV setup does not find a connection, even though the WinTV is in Device MGR.
    >
    >This is the real gotcha, I can choose manual setup, select TV antenna, and it finds one digital channel, and 7 internet channels, but there's no option to check signal strength.
    >
    >Un-installed and re-installed, same difference!

Barb Bowman

http://www.digitalmediaphile.com

Friday, March 1, 2013 9:17 PM
  • Windows Media Center will give you the “tuner not found” and stop making scheduled recordings and allow you to watch live TV if the security permissions for the Windows Media Center storage location “Recorded TV” somehow gets changed. This is what happened to me in August 2017. I was using the workaround of using starting the Windows Media Center Receiver Service from a Local System Account in Services.msc for about a month until I learned that a change in security permissions for the Windows Media Center storage location “Recorded TV” will prevent the Windows Media Center Receiver Service and Windows Media Center Scheduler Service from starting and restarting as it should.

I have two Windows 7 computers on which I use Windows Media Center. I had a look at the Security Permissions under Properties for the “Recorded TV” folder on both computers and confirmed that the security permission had been changed on the computer on which I was having issues.

While it is possible to get the receiver and scheduler services to work properly by manually giving the appropriate permissions to “Network Service,” ehSched, ehRecvr and whatever other group/user names are missing from the list under the Security tab, there is a much simpler solution.

Go to Windows Media Center Settings--->TV--->Recorder--->Recorder Storage and change the TV recording drive from D: to C: and briefly record TV on drive C:. Windows Media Center will create TV recording folder C:\Users\Public\Recorded TV with the security settings that it needs to work properly. Go back to Windows Media Center Settings--->TV--->Recorder--->Recorder Storage and change the TV recording drive back to drive D: from C: and briefly record TV on drive D:. You will find that Windows Media Center has corrected the security permissions for the TV recording folder D:\Recorded TV. Reboot your computer.

For those that had been employing the workaround of opening the Services.msc  window and starting the Windows Media Center Receiver Service from a Local System Account, doing so will no longer be necessary. Network Service will once again start and restart the Windows Media Center Receiver and Scheduler services without any manual intervention on the part of the computer user.

Tuesday, October 3, 2017 7:32 AM