none
Cannot get Windows 10 home laptop to upgrade to Pro

Question

• https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/40bb79c9-41e6-43a5-a496-1c73eee950ac/upgrade-windows-10-home-to-windows-10-pro-using-volume-license?forum=win10itprogeneral

I have tried the Windows 10 pro (full retail) key i bought online, it appears to upgrade, reboots and is still at Windows 10 home.

I have tried a generic key and it appears to upgrade, reboots and it's still at Windows 10 home.

I have tried a VL key that our firm has... again it appears to upgrade, reboots and is still at Windows 10 home.

I have tried a partner action pack Windows 10 pro key... again it appears to upgrade, reboots and it still at Windows 10 home.

Is there a log file I can look at to determine exactly why this machine will not - no matter what key I try - to upgrade from Home to Pro.

I have done this twice before with zero issues - this one WILL not upgrade.

Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:23 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

Before upgrading to Windows 10 Pro, make sure your device is up to date and running the most recent version of Windows 10 Home. Once we confirmed that it is the most recent version of Windows 10 Home, we could follow the steps in this link to upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro.
    Upgrade Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Pro
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12384/windows-10-upgrading-home-to-pro

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 2:43 AM
  • It is up to date on 1607.  I have done this step:

1. Select the Start  button, then select Settings  > Update & security  > Activation.
    2. Select Change product key, and then enter the 25-character Windows 10 Pro product key.
    3. Select Next to start the upgrade to Windows 10 Pro.

It reboots and is still a Home PC.

Friday, April 28, 2017 4:20 AM
  • Hi ,

As far as I know, the last version is Windows 10 version 1703, which is known as Creators Update. Maybe upgrade to Windows 10 version 1703, then try again.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12373/windows-update-faq

Best regards

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, April 28, 2017 7:49 AM
  • Hello,

please try following procedure:

1) on your Win 10 Home click on "Upgrade Windows Edition" - "Change product key"

2) enter this product key "VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

3) Click on UPGRADE

4) After upgrade / restart you should have non-activated Win 10 Pro edition

5) Now run elevated cmd line and enter this commands (where XXXX is your WIn 10 Pro aktivation key) :

slmgr.vbs -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
    slmgr.vbs -ato

6) Now you should have Activated Win 10 Pro edition.

Radek

Friday, April 28, 2017 8:01 AM
  • The goal is to get it to pro to defer the feature upgrade.  I'd prefer not to get it to 1703 please.
    Friday, April 28, 2017 1:49 PM
  • I tried a generic key already and it failed to go to pro.
    Friday, April 28, 2017 1:50 PM
  • The goal is to get it to pro to defer the feature upgrade.  I'd prefer not to get it to 1703 please.
    Hi ,

Don't worry. We should be able to go back 1607 within 10 days after upgrade to version 1703. Because Microsoft says we need to keep up to date and running the most recent version of Windows 10 Home before upgrading to Windows 10 Pro. I assume that we have to meet this requirement. Due to the limited working environment, it is not available for me to test this for you, I have no Windows 10 Home machine. That is why I suggest you have a try. 
    In addition, you say the goal is defer the feature upgrade. To block the upgrade through Windows Update, we could specify the following registry value to implement it:
    Subkey: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate
    DWORD value: DisableOSUpgrade = 1
    Hope it will work for you.

Best regards

Monday, May 1, 2017 9:00 AM
  • If I have to upgrade to 1703, then inplace from home to pro, the Windows old folder is most likely going to be impacted and I won't be able to roll back to 1607.

Is there any log files I can look at that can specifically tell me what is going on?

And I've gone from home to pro on a 1607 after 1703 was released so I don't think being on CB, not CBB is a mandatory requirement.

Tuesday, May 9, 2017 3:53 PM
  • Panther folder? 
    Tuesday, May 9, 2017 3:54 PM
  • Check Setupact.log and setuperr.log
    Log files that are created when you upgrade to a new version of Windows
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/928901/log-files-that-are-created-when-you-upgrade-to-a-new-version-of-windows

Wednesday, May 10, 2017 8:36 AM