none
What do I need on my home PC in order to learn MS Project on my own? RRS feed

• Question

• I applied for a job that asked if I was proficient with MS Project.  I answered Yes thinking that I could learn it fairly quickly, if necessary.  I bought the MS book "Learn MS Project Step by Step" but now I need to know exactly what software I need in order to learn it using the book.  On the MS website I find Project Standard, Project Professional and Project Server.  Project Server also requires SharePoint Server installed, I guess.

Can I download the trial version of Project Professional and be able to use it while going through the Step by Step book?  Or do I also need Project Server, and thus SharePoint Server, in order to use Project Professional while using the Step by Step book?

I also found a product at Amazon called "Project Pro 2010 32-BIT/X64 Us Ae DVD 6/15" which sells for quite a bit less than Project Standard or Professional.  Can someone tell me what this product is used for?  Is this a stripped-down version of Project Standard?  Can I use this to learn Project?  Would I need something else to make it work?

Thanks for any help.

Thursday, May 26, 2011 5:59 PM

Answers

• At this moment, I'm not in the market to purchase MS Project in any form. I just want to be able to learn to use it in the least expensive way possible. It looks like using the Step by Step book with the trial version of MS Project Professional is probably the best answer.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 1:23 PM

All replies

• Hi Euler,

You are already refering a good book, so if you just want to learn the scheduling tool - MS Project you can download its trial. MS Project doesn't need sharepoint or Project Server in standalone system.

Project Stand is standalone version server based feature are found in its Professional version.

http://www.microsoft.com/project/en/us/project-professional-2010.aspx

Then here are few things you would like to know about it : http://www.microsoft.com/project/en/us/tips-tricks.aspx

http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/project-help

Sapna S
    • Marked as answer by Euler271 Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:35 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Euler271 Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:46 PM
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:11 PM
  • Thank you very much for your help.

You said that "Project Stand is standalone version server based feature are found in its Professional version."  I don't understand this.  What is the difference between Project Standard and Project Professional?  If I buy MS Project, can I just buy Project Standard?

Do you know what "Project Pro 2010 32-BIT/X64 Us Ae DVD 6/15" is?

Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:42 PM
  • Project Pro 2010 32-BIT/X64 is Project Professional version for 64 bit system. Basic difference between the 2 version is that Professional works in the integrated mode with the Project Server and Sharepoint which is used as a central Project Management tool by any Organization. It provides Web based functionality, reports and Portfolio analysis features. MSP is basically a scheduling tool and both the version are used to create projects. you can read more on this : <cite>download.microsoft.com/.../F/.../version_comparison_desktop.pdf</cite>

http://www.differencebetween.com/difference-between-microsoft-project-standard-2010-and-project-professional-2010/

<cite></cite>I would recommed first work on the trial then buy once you reach to comfort level.

Sapna S
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 6:57 PM
  • According to the information found at the link you provided, MS Project Standard includes Office tools such as PowerPoint, Excel and Word.  I already have those since I have Office 2010.  Why would I pay for them again?

I also don't understand why Project Pro 2010 32-BIT/X64 Us Ae DVD 6/15 is so much cheaper than Project Standard.  Is it the same as the $500 version?  If so, why is it so much less?  Why does it say "Platform:  No operating system" on the Amazon site?

Thursday, May 26, 2011 7:19 PM
  • Pardon me for bumping in but my guess is that the version you are seeing Project Pro 2010 32-BIT/X64 Us Ae DVD  is the Academic Edition designed for students.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:20 PM
  • I'd encourage you to enroll in a 1-3 day class provided locally or online
    for using MS Project.  That may provide more value than reading a book.

Also, some of the resources here may be helpful - although the majority are
    designed for Project Server - an enterprise version of MS Project.

Andrew Lavinsky [MVP] Blog: http://azlav.umtblog.com Twitter: @alavinsky
    Thursday, May 26, 2011 9:58 PM
  • At this moment, I'm not in the market to purchase MS Project in any form. I just want to be able to learn to use it in the least expensive way possible. It looks like using the Step by Step book with the trial version of MS Project Professional is probably the best answer.
    Friday, May 27, 2011 1:23 PM
  • Hello Euler271,

I agree that the trial version is a wonderful way to try before you buy.  Good luck and do post back if you have any questions.

Julie

Friday, May 27, 2011 3:07 PM