MDT 2010 - Validation Error: The deployment share is read-only, so no changes can be made RRS feed

• Question

• I keep getting the above listed error when trying to update the rules on one of my deployment shares.  I've even gone so far as to remove the read-only flag on everything in the share, it doesn't help.

As a workaround, I've been editing the CustomSettings.ini directly, but I'd really like this to work.  Any ideas?

As an aside, the 'Alert me when someone responds to this post' never seems to work here.  And yes, I've checked my spam folder as well...

Thursday, April 8, 2010 1:25 PM

All replies

• Hmm... 

Actually now, I can't even update the deployment share.  I get this error:

The specified MDT Drive: D:\Servers is Read Only.

(There is plenty of drive space available too, so that isn't the issue.)

Thursday, April 8, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Did you remove the read-only flag and set the proper permissions on Sharing and Security? Now that I think of it, the read-only flag is enabled on my Deployment Share but I still have the appropriate access because of permissions.
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 4:37 PM
  • Its a local folder, but the share has full control for everyone, and the security shows full control for my group.  It's really weird.
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:01 PM
  • Ok, it seems to be related to the MDT WizardEditor, but I'm not sure how.  I logged on to the server and was able to update the deployment share several times.  I closed the MMC, opened the WizardEditor, opened the Deploy.xml thing inside the WizardEditor, closed WizardEditor, reopened MMC - READ ONLY.

Very weird.

Thursday, April 8, 2010 7:27 PM
  • I also have the same issue.

I have confirmed Permissions are set correctly on the Deploy NTFS and Share folder.

It doesnt occur when i make changes to the Distribution share, only Deploy.

Kind Regards, Paul Dacre - Empired Ltd.
    Monday, May 3, 2010 8:42 AM
  • Same here when adding/modifying Applications. After restarting the server mdt is on, it works without the "Read-Only"-error for a while. Sometimes  when you have the error it will work from another pc's "Deployment workbench", or if it stops working on the pc, it works when logged directly on the server ...
    • Edited by GrowBigTrees Wednesday, October 6, 2010 12:07 PM clarification
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 12:05 PM
  • Any chance you're using DFS-R?
    Wednesday, October 6, 2010 12:42 PM
  • Indeed. The problem was solved by scheduling replication after working hours.
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 4:12 PM
  • I too had this, searched the net for an answer, this was the only thread that I could find. But fixed it myself. I had opened the MMC twice, closed one but obviously it thought someone else had access so locked it to read only. Closing and reopening th eMDT MMC fixed it....

Thanks anyway...

• Edited by Mandesk Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:18 PM
    Tuesday, November 6, 2012 2:17 PM
  • I have been struggling with this for about a week now, does anyone know another solution? Thanks!

Thursday, March 21, 2013 3:53 PM
  • I had same problem and my solution was create new audit file in deployment share. <Deploymet share>\Audit.log  was removed and created empty one with same name.
    • Proposed as answer by somescout Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:39 AM
    Tuesday, January 28, 2014 11:36 AM
  • Thanks, that solved problem.
    Tuesday, April 15, 2014 8:38 AM
  • I had same problem and my solution was create new audit file in deployment share. <Deploymet share>\Audit.log  was removed and created empty one with same name.

Worked for me with MDT2013 Update 1

Monday, June 15, 2015 8:35 AM
  • Worked well for me too!
    Tuesday, April 11, 2017 5:21 PM
  • Thank you! This solution worked for me!
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:26 PM
  • Hi,

I know it is an old post but for me, the solution was to run the component as administrator.

The key of learning is practice.

Thursday, December 28, 2017 9:06 AM
  • Well, this is an old post but wanted to share a simple RESOLUTION for this which works always for me.

Disconnect the server from network restart the server and try to make modifications in Deployment share it will allow you to do it. Once you make the changes, Connect it back to network and you are all set :)

Condition You must have any other way to access the server, because once you disconnect it from network you will not be able to RDC it. :)

• Edited by Ronak Vora Tuesday, February 6, 2018 7:09 AM Grammer
    Tuesday, February 6, 2018 7:02 AM
    Worked like a charm!
    Thursday, March 29, 2018 8:24 PM

Thanks! It worked for me too!

Tuesday, July 31, 2018 3:19 PM