Windows 10 Automatic Updates bypass WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• Since I normally get updates via a WSUS(?) service on my domain my Windows 10 Windows Update page has a checkbox for "Check online for updates from Microsoft update." This check is not "sticky" however and it keeps getting reset. I don't seem to have any control over where the updates download from. In some cases I want to avoid the domain source since it is throttled. 

Is there a better/usable way to force direct downloads?

How can I tell where the downloads in progress are coming from?

Wednesday, June 1, 2016 10:21 PM

Answers

• Hi, 

The Windows update log can help us to know where the update come from. For the update from WSUS, you can see the downloading update from WSUS server. 

In Enterprise, we recommend to use the WSUS server to download your update, in this way, it can help to protect your system with more stable released ones. 

If you really want to do so, you can configure and remove the values in registry key to remove WSUS server: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\

WUServer

WUStatusServer

Then, configure the registry below to force getting update from Microsoft update: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

UseWUServer Range = 0

Please note, since the Domain GP will overwrite the local ones if there is any conflict, you have to write script or batch file to manually change the registry keys after signing into your computer. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785665(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope this could be helpful.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, June 6, 2016 2:12 PM

All replies

• I shall suggest you to reset WSUS:

Open PowerShell as Admin and run the following commands:

# Stop the Windows Update service
    Stop-Service -Name wuauserv
    # Remove the registry key
    Remove-Item HKLM:\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate -Recurse
    # Start the Windows Update service
    Start-Service -name wuauserv

S.Sengupta, Windows Experience MVP

Thursday, June 2, 2016 12:09 AM
  • Hi, 

The Windows update log can help us to know where the update come from. For the update from WSUS, you can see the downloading update from WSUS server. 

In Enterprise, we recommend to use the WSUS server to download your update, in this way, it can help to protect your system with more stable released ones. 

If you really want to do so, you can configure and remove the values in registry key to remove WSUS server: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\

WUServer

WUStatusServer

Then, configure the registry below to force getting update from Microsoft update: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU

UseWUServer Range = 0

Please note, since the Domain GP will overwrite the local ones if there is any conflict, you have to write script or batch file to manually change the registry keys after signing into your computer. 

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc785665(v=ws.10).aspx

Hope this could be helpful.

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, June 6, 2016 2:12 PM