none
Windows 10 - Can't access \\computername but can access \\computername\share RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Since these latest updates/patches came out yesterday, I can no longer access shared folders on \\computername. However, I can access them with \\computer\share. I get the message "You do not have permission to access \\computername. Contact your network administrator to request access."

Users that have shortcuts to shared folders saved on their desktop can access them fine, but if they have a shortcut to \\computername, or try browsing to \\computername, they get the above message. Trying \\ipaddress makes no difference. Same results. 

NOTHING has changed on this computer - only updates installed (automatically). All it does is host shared folders for a few workers. It is running Windows 10 Pro 1809.  

Have tried turning off and then back on File and Printer Sharing from Network Sharing Center. 

Have tried turning back on Password Protected sharing and then turning it back off again (we have it set to off and this is what we want). 

I'm also told that opening small files on shared folders is taking an unreasonable amount of time. We're talking <100kb Excel and Word files. Previously took a few seconds, now taking 15 to 20+. 

Again, nothing was changed on the computer hosting the shared folders other than updates being installed. Nothing has been changed on the network.

Wednesday, October 9, 2019 5:23 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

After a full day/night of diagnosing this problem and trying numerous things, I finally just picked up the computer, backed up everything and wiped/reinstalled Windows 10. However, afterward during the rebuild, I found out that there was an Intel NIC driver update from Dell SupportAssist (also Dell Command Update) that after installed, it breaks something in Windows and causes my above problem. Even if I uninstall the drivers from Programs and Features, or remove the NIC from Device Manager and use a Microsoft driver for the NIC, OR even using Intel's latest NIC drivers for the network card, it made no difference - Windows still broken. 

So then my choice was to do a System Restore (Recovery) to a point before the driver update. I had to do this in order to get shared folder browsing working again. So now everything is working with the built-in Microsoft driver for the Intel NIC. The NIC in question is an Intel I219-LM onboard NIC. I even tried putting on a USB3.0 to gigabit NIC to see if swapping NICs would help my issue.

It did not. 

If this didn't work, my last resort was either doing another fresh install of Win 10 or restoring from a backup from a day prior to the faulty NIC driver being installed.

Luckily I did not have to do this though, and continuing on with the built in Microsoft driver is working fine. 

• Marked as answer by TC10284 Friday, October 11, 2019 3:03 PM
    Friday, October 11, 2019 12:57 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

What’s the OS version of the computer hosting the file share?

When you net share, you can access to \\computer\folderbut can’t access using \\computer. This issue may cause by the packets was missing the IPC$, ADMIN$, or C$ share of the SMB connection.

We can verify by this docs and follow the steps mentioned in the Resolution,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/842715/overview-of-problems-that-may-occur-when-administrative-shares-are-mis

1. Examine the AutoShareServer and AutoShareWks registry values to make sure that they are not set to 0:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then press ENTER.
      2. Locate and then click the following registry sub-key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
      3. If the AutoShareServer and AutoShareWks DWORD values in the LanmanServer\Parameters sub-key are configured with a value data of 0, change that value to 1. Note If these values do not exist, you do not have to create them because the default behavior is to automatically create the administrative shares.

4. Quit Registry Editor.

2. Restart the computer. Typically, computers that are running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, Windows 2000, or Windows NT 4.0 automatically create the administrative shares during startup.

3. After the computer restarts, verify that the administrative shares are active. To examine the shares, use the net share command. To do this, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
      2. At the command prompt, type net share, and then press ENTER.
      3. Look for the Admin$, C$, and IPC$ administrative shares in the list of shares.

Furthermore, please check the windows needs to patch the updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/4464619

IN addition, please check if there’s any error message regarding SMB share in the event viewer.

Applications and Services logs > Microsoft > Windows > SMBServer

Applications and Services logs > Microsoft > Windows > SMBClient

Meanwhile, Please check the network connectivity between file share server and clients.

Hope above information can help you.

Highly appreciate your effort and time. If you have any question or concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:42 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Michael

Friday, October 11, 2019 9:52 AM
  • Hi,

Best Regards,

Michael

After a full day/night of diagnosing this problem and trying numerous things, I finally just picked up the computer, backed up everything and wiped/reinstalled Windows 10. However, afterward during the rebuild, I found out that there was an Intel NIC driver update from Dell SupportAssist (also Dell Command Update) that after installed, it breaks something in Windows and causes my above problem. Even if I uninstall the drivers from Programs and Features, or remove the NIC from Device Manager and use a Microsoft driver for the NIC, OR even using Intel's latest NIC drivers for the network card, it made no difference - Windows still broken. 

So then my choice was to do a System Restore (Recovery) to a point before the driver update. I had to do this in order to get shared folder browsing working again. So now everything is working with the built-in Microsoft driver for the Intel NIC. The NIC in question is an Intel I219-LM onboard NIC. I even tried putting on a USB3.0 to gigabit NIC to see if swapping NICs would help my issue.

It did not. 

If this didn't work, my last resort was either doing another fresh install of Win 10 or restoring from a backup from a day prior to the faulty NIC driver being installed.

Luckily I did not have to do this though, and continuing on with the built in Microsoft driver is working fine. 

• Marked as answer by TC10284 Friday, October 11, 2019 3:03 PM
    Friday, October 11, 2019 12:57 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your detailed update. 

For now, can you access the sharing by using \\computer name?

Any other concern or question for this issue? If you need further assistance, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

Monday, October 14, 2019 2:25 AM