Error: 0x80070241 RRS feed

• Question

• Ohh Man, I really, really, really need some help Microsoft.

Whenever I install Windows Vista through Upgrade I always get the error 0x80070241 at 70% of copying Windows files. I've been trying to get other files of Vista. But it always ends up in the same place. I've also used a lot of my broadband bandwidth by trying to get other downloads.

Some have said things about MD5 hashes and CRC things. But I don't thing so.
    It may be my hardware.

I have researched and found something relating to BIOS things.

Please, please help Microsoft.
    You should know on how to help me (some people have said that Microsoft can't even determine the problem)

Thanks in Advance!!!!
    Monday, November 13, 2006 7:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• im getting this same error at 40% when installing rtm build 6000. i tried upgrading and a fresh install and still the same result. someone help us please
    Monday, November 20, 2006 9:31 PM
  • did ya get any solution to this problem send me an e-mail ashleywakelin06@hotmail.com         

error code:0x80070241

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 4:50 PM
  • Same error here.

I have tried on two computers (One laptop, One Destop)

Two copies burnt from MSDN on Two differant burners (one internal, one external)

crashes at 40 some percent each time.  I even tried copying the DVD contents to a second drive and running install from that hard drive, same error.  I am starting to get a sinking windows 95 feeling from this product already (based on the comments on the internet) and nobody seems to be addressing this error.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 5:36 PM
  • i still havent found a solution yet. i am currently running rc2 5744 vista build, so i cant use the daemon tools that some people were using to solve the error code problem. i need help.
    Wednesday, November 22, 2006 2:00 AM
  • Try to install Vista not from windows. In the bios choose boot from your DVD-Rom, and than computer start you will see message that you should press key to begin installation. Press key and install and all should be ok. This error code will not appear and you install Vista without problems. It's should be so, without problems.
    Wednesday, November 29, 2006 12:02 PM
  • I tossed my two burnt DVD's, deleted the ISO image and then downloaded from MSDN again. The file sizes where identical but the CRC check was not. I then burnt to a new dvd and was able to install (upgrade) as you would expect. 

http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=596332&SiteID=17

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 12:55 PM
  • Read this helpful guide: http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=796452&SiteID=17

Let me in the know.

Good luck

Wednesday, November 29, 2006 8:05 PM
  • hey ahmhdy, it didn't work i tried it several times
    Friday, January 12, 2007 12:38 PM
  • That didnt work for me.  I have this problem with both the 32 and 64 bit versions....  What a waist of 250 USD!!!
    Tuesday, January 30, 2007 6:24 PM
  • I had the same problem, and i resolved it by:

Uninstalling my internet security.

Chances are that your internet security, firewall, antivirus, etc. is not allowing you to change the OS to Windows Vista. If this helps, email me at lphotios@hotmail.com

it helped for me!

Sunday, February 11, 2007 1:09 AM
  • hey guys the reason windows vista does not install properly is because the hashes (MD5, CRC whatever) are incorrect to microsoft's MSDN one and therefore not the original copy... to fix it you need to get legit microsoft copy.

also if you still need help you might need to do a clean install to prevent the )&$)(*$ errors from coming
    Sunday, February 11, 2007 1:24 AM
  • as you can tell by my name... im quite a happy chappy to get this program to actually work...

after 3 days of looking around for some sort of solution to this dilema, i found a post abt how to fix it... i read on eagerly as a solution to the dreaded "0x80070241" problem was laid before my eyes.

it said... you go to www.Vlite.com (or something close to that... google it if im wrong) and install there program (no i have no ideae what it does and i dont care" but after i installed it ran it and everything

my vista installed... pased 48% yay =]

and right now its on 52% "gathering information"

after 3 long days of looking for some sort of resolution i finaly got it

and thought id sign up to this to tell the world.... that YES vista can be installed.

best of luck installing vista.

ed.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 4:45 AM
  • mmmmm i managed to install vista

but now i have a new error

it just does not load at all... it boots... then gets to the screen right b4 it loads

then restarts. :O

microsoft recomended i download the "vista upgrade advisor" so im doing that now.

if this dusnt work.

i think ill just stick to the one thing that actually works thats made by microsoft..  windows XP

ed.

Saturday, February 17, 2007 11:56 AM
  • i couldnt get vista to completely work...

i got passsed the "0x80070241" error but after it installed and was about to start up for the first time... withought warning my computer restarts itself. and it continues to restart itself till i decide to revert back into XP (i tried to install vista twice and i got the same problem twice)

im iupgrading from microsoft xp profesional to vista business

specs

pentium 4 3.2Ghz

512 ram

raedeon9600se 

160 gb ata hard drive

8s648fxp-rz mother board by Gigabyte

any help would be greatly apreciated...

i would love to see aero and i guess ill have to wait.

thanks in advace.

ed.

Sunday, February 18, 2007 5:43 AM
  • Its Just VLite.net
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 5:07 AM
  • Jason, you said you were able to install? How? I would like to install it too! I'm afraid I do not have the files to burn from, the only place I have them, are bunt on the DVD. If you can tell me where I can DL them from (free of charge) I will burn it again. The way you tell me to burn it! I only have it now on the DVD, as normal files, not as any kind of image or any. I really do not understand the terms "Burn the Image"! If you could explain that aswel? Thank you for all of your help!!!

Tuesday, April 10, 2007 2:07 AM
  •  

while installing the printer i got an error of  os build number

currently installed : os version 5744

minimum : os version 6000

plzz tell me how can we convert dis from 5744 to 6000

via email or contact

email address is

amanaggarwal22222@gmail.com

thank you

Saturday, May 26, 2007 2:18 PM
  •                                        How to fix 0x80070241 Error if out of options

Hi,

I was getting the Same error everyone else was getting & it seems installing it from inside windows if it is running XP or earlier just will never work, i have Windows XP Ultimate signature edition & i was upgrading from Windows XP SP2, i checked to make sure that my computer was capable of running Vista after a few errors i finally found away arround it all, it is really simple it will require you to reformat your Hard Drive so make sure you back everything up on another hard drive or other storage device e.g USBs or DVD or CDs.

FIRST go to your bios settings it is normally on your first screen when your computer starts up normally pressing del gets you in there

SECOND change the first loading piece of hardware to CD-ROM & where CD-ROM once was put what was originally first to load in there (please note you do need a DVD-ROM drive minimum)

THIRD save it all & restart your computer, it will lod through & as soon as your computer says load from CD or DVD ROM press any key you must press anykey & the setup will start

FORTH key in your info setting & continue

FITH i have noticed that if you type in your windows verification key it will tell you to start it up in windows so to get past this problem all you do is click next & leave th key space blank then a box will come up that will say something like this will require you to verify when Vista is installed & you may loose data... there will be 2 boxes one that says yes & another that says no click no

SIXTH click what version you are running & tick the box this is the version i have purchased & continue, agree to everything & the installation should start, this should fix your problem but it stops you from upgrading you can only use custom install & in the advanced options where custom install is just beneath when you click advanced options you can formate before you start but i am unsure whether or not  it makes a difference.

THIS IS WHAT I DID, I TRIED USING VLITE & LOTS OF OTHER STUFF WHICH I HAD READ FROM FORUMS TO FIX SOMETHING LIKE THIS BUT IT SEEMS THIS WAS THE ONLY WAY I COULD GET IT WORKING, I HOPE THIS WORKS FOR YOU as it did me. i am in Vista Ulimate right now using the net to type this message & so far no problems what so ever. Just follow my steps & it should work.

After first posting this on July 23rd 2007 at 6:13am no problems still to this date i have had no issues. If anyone has any issues please feel free to email me at Dan_X@live.com.au Also can i please get some feed back makes me feel much better that the 6 hours i dedicated to fixing the problem in my computer is helping others. Thankyou everybody who have already sent me emails to my other email address makes me feel less like a computer geek. lol.

• Proposed as answer by Dan_72901 Saturday, May 15, 2010 6:49 AM
    • Edited by Dan_72901 Saturday, May 15, 2010 7:01 AM revisions
    Monday, July 23, 2007 6:14 AM
  • Dan-72901

Youre a bloody champion... After swearing and defaming Microsofts heritage your workaround worked.  Well done.  I'm a Mac used that has to fix a PC for my daughter and when I compare the quality of MS install instructions (HA!) with what actually works, I am even more fixed in myn opinions.... One is quality and one is market share.... 

LRWOZ
    Saturday, August 4, 2007 11:07 AM
  •  

I've same problem, ithink its the hardware problem, but it woking when i use this trick

copy all cd windows source to c:\winvista

boot from cd until option to install or fix, chose fix and select command (dos) go to c:\winvista\source\setup.exe run the setup, you can safety eject the cd from your cdrom,
    after wait for a couple minutes, tears, coffee and cigar then i saw the vista for the first time on my toshiba laptop, puffff.....

Yeah It's PERTAMAX......
    Monday, September 17, 2007 8:46 AM
  • The same problem occurred when i install vista sp1. I tried to resolve this problem in all ways i can think, but it is still occur. Then, i low format my hard disk and reinstall it. Haha , this is error isn't repro!
    Thursday, April 24, 2008 3:03 AM
  • Ok, I tried the above suggestion because I didn't want to go through the process of fiddling with the other 2 programs in order to make the installation process work. I too have been going crazy trying to load Vista, only to receive the number 1 error code so, I tried the above process of going to my BIOS and making my DVD -RW the primary boot for my computer. (But first, I loaded Vista in the DVD-RW Drive before going to BIOS) and when the computer ask you to "Exit and Save press (Y)" and then the system will boot with the vista already loaded and the installation process will work without a flaw

and most of all without error code 0x80070241.  I would like to thank Misha Shevlyakov for a brilliant approach to this matter. And I am so Haaaaaaaaaaaaapy.   Every 1 should try this method, it works but make sure you have a DVD burner, or you can try a DVD-rom.  Thanks again Misha, oh todays date is 18Jun08 and misha sent this info in 29Nov06.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:17 PM
  • This is my second post to Misha's suggestion that in fact worked I'm just trying to find out how to give this a Five (5) star rating so that every 1 can follow this method of loading Vista.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:22 PM
  • I've solved cases like these.Try removing extra RAM from the computer and then try the installation(e.g. if you have 2sticks of RAM try with 1stick).If that fails try to boot from the CD and start the installation.It will work

Thursday, September 18, 2008 11:41 PM
  • I took my computer to a computer repair shop and they changed the RAM and Windows 7 installed fine. I have a dual quad core processor and 4 gigs of RAM so, windows 7 should have installed without any issues, so I was quite surprised when it didn't. I suggest every to just check their memory.

Thursday, November 5, 2009 5:38 PM
  • I updated the bios on a 3 year old HP machine after having this same problem and then I was able to install Windows 7 Pro just fine. 
    Wednesday, December 2, 2009 1:37 AM