none
Media Server - Access Denied

Question

• I have been using a Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials as a media server - with the additional Media Server download installed.

Everything ran fine for a couple of years.  Recently my devices have been unable to connect and get an Access Denied message.  Network PCs see the Media Server but get a message "servername is denying access to your PC.  Contact the owner of the media server to allow access to your PC".

No intentional changes have been made - the occasional Windows update - I hadn't accessed it for a few weeks so I don't know exactly when the problem started.  Other functions work fine - client backups run normally, Media Players that access via an actual login work fine - all of the media is there and intact.  It's just the devices that normally accessed the media server without credentials and the PCs that previously had access are now denied.

The Media settings are all normal and are set such that media access should be open to all network devices.

The only other recent oddity, I connect via remote desktop and it always required log in when I connect to the server. It now no longer requires sign-on.  I start remote desktop and indicate the server and I'm immediately connected to a signed on desktop.

I have spent hours trying to figure this out - it's almost like something has gotten corrupted...  :(

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions!!

Thanks in advance!!

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:46 AM

All replies

• Hi,

According to your description, my understanding is that user failed to access media files, with error "servername is denying access to your PC.  Contact the owner of the media server to allow access to your PC".

Please try to disable, and re-enable media via Dashboard – Settings – Media – Media Server – Turn off and turn on.

Besides, please try to add a new test user account via Dashboard – USERS, assign it appropriate permission on media folder and check the result. 

If problem persists, is there any earth displays on Dashboard? 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 11, 2017 8:05 AM
  • Hello Eve,

Thank you for your reply!

I have disabled and re-enabled Media.  I have different media players that access the 2012 R2 Essentials media - I have Dune media players that access the server via an account/password – I named the account MediaAccess – these player operate without the Media functionality (they work even if Media is disabled).

My problem is with the true Media functionality that doesn’t require account credentials to stream media.  With Media disabled, my devices that rely on the true Media function simply do not see a media server.  When I enable Media, these devices see the server but get the access denied error and do not see any folders.

The Media function worked fine for nearly two years and I’m at a loss as to why it is now not working.  The Media functionality supporting DLNA is described below (from links on the Dashboard – Settings – Media window).

“Before you turn on Media Library Sharing for a shared folder, you should know that Media Library Sharing bypasses any type of user-account access that you set for the shared folder. For example, let's say that you turn on Media Library Sharing for the Photos shared folder, and you set the Photos shared folder to No Access for a user account named Bobby. Bobby can still stream any digital media from the Videos shared folder to any supported digital media player or DMR. If you have digital media that you do not want to stream in this manner, store the files in a folder that does not have Media Library Sharing turned on.”

Following the instructions, this setup is very straightforward – and worked without any issue when I first built the server.  I’m not sure if some setting or configuration got corrupted.  Again, any suggestions would be very helpful.

Thank you,

Wyatt

Sunday, October 15, 2017 6:05 PM
  • Hi,

Is there any change before this problem happened, such as software installation, hardware replacement and etc.?

If possible, please disable Windows Firewall temporarily and check the result.

Besides, please check Event Viewer to confirm that if there is any relate event has been logged.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, October 18, 2017 6:29 AM
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, October 23, 2017 1:43 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, October 25, 2017 1:38 AM
  • Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been out of town.

I had installed Plex on the server but it really didn't provide the flexibility with Amazon Alexa that I wanted so I wound up de-installing Plex.  This was 'around' the time the issue started.

I have since re-installed Plex - I thought possibly de-installing Plex might have changed a setting - in any case, re-installing Plex did not fix the issue.

I am wondering if rebuilding the server (ugghhh!!!) might be the best option.  The OS is on an SSD and all of the actual server storage is on a separate RAID 6 array...I would plan to detach the storage array, re-install WS2012 R2 Essentials and then reconnect the storage.

I am really confounded by this - it was very simple to initially get it working.

I will try the firewall settings this weekend and report back.

Thanks again for your suggestions!!  :)

Wyatt 

Friday, October 27, 2017 11:47 AM
  • Hi,

You may try to using below command to check/repair system files and confirm the result:
    1. Sfc /scannow
    2. DISM.EXE - https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824869.aspx

Please try to manually start or re-start below services:
    Windows Server Essentials Media Streaming Service

Also, please make sure that all Windows Server Essentials relate service(service’s name includes “Windows Server Essentials”) is running.

If problem persists, as Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 using additional Media Pack to enable the media streaming functionality. If there is problem with the media function, I am wondering if we can repair/re-install the media pack to fix the problem:
    1. Open Control Panel – Programs – Programs and Features – View installed updates – Windows Server Essentials Media Pack – click to uninstall.
    2. Re-start the system if possible, and try to re-install and check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, October 30, 2017 6:53 AM
  • Hi,

Is there any update? And if my suggestion is helpful?

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Wednesday, November 01, 2017 10:07 AM
  • Hello Eve,

I ran the Sfc /scannow - it said it corrected some permission errors - that did not fix the issue.

The Dism utility found no corruption.

Programs and Features did not list Windows Server Media Pack.  I tried reinstalling it and that did not resolve the issue either.

I did restarts after each of the above actions.

Again, thank you for your interest and suggestions!

Wyatt

Sunday, November 05, 2017 4:05 PM
  • Hi,

Please try to re-enable folder for media sharing:
    Dashboard – Settings – Media – Media Library – Customize – changed all folders’ Included option as NO, save and changed, and re-included these folders to check the result.

Besides, if it is permission relate problem, please try to manually open File Explorer, find the folder which is included in Media Library, open the folder properties – Security.

I had manually compare normal sharing folder and media folder on my test server, media folder should have more accounts which are added with appropriate permission than normal sharing folder. So, please check below.
    1. Reference security configuration on normal sharing folder, to add appropriate user/user group security permission on media folder.
    2. Add below user/group security permission on media folder:
    WMPNetworkSvc  -> Read & excute/List folder contents/Read
    <Your server name>$ -> Special permission.  For example, my Essentials Server name is WS2012R2ESERVER, then, there is an entry “WS2012R2ESERVER$” with special permission. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Monday, November 06, 2017 6:56 AM