Router to router vpn and servers RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have 2 routers creating a vpn.  One router lan side network is 192.168.1.0 while the other one is 192.168.10.0.  I can ping and do a tracert from either network (any computer) to the other network but I can only "see" the computers in one direction.  From the .10 network, when I type in explorer  \\192.168.1.4  it says it cannot find that address.  From the .1 network when I type \\192.168.10.2, it lists the shares available on that computer and I can access them just fine.  I am not using fqdn or computer names, I am using ip addresses.  I can also remote desktop from any computer to any computer using their lan ip.  Any ideas ?

Friday, October 22, 2010 9:40 PM

Answers

• That fact that you can ping computers on either subnet from either subnet covers layers 1-3 in the OSI model.  So, it doesn't appear to be network related with regards to IP connectivity/routing. 

Do you have the firewall enabled on 192.168.1.4 possibly where you allow incoming ICMP packets but not SMB?

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 10:20 PM
  • Is there some sort of broadcast traffic setting allowed in the firewall/VPN device on one end but not the other?

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, October 22, 2010 11:40 PM

All replies

• That fact that you can ping computers on either subnet from either subnet covers layers 1-3 in the OSI model.  So, it doesn't appear to be network related with regards to IP connectivity/routing. 

Do you have the firewall enabled on 192.168.1.4 possibly where you allow incoming ICMP packets but not SMB?

Visit: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
    Friday, October 22, 2010 10:20 PM
  • Is there some sort of broadcast traffic setting allowed in the firewall/VPN device on one end but not the other?

Ace Fekay
    MVP, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA 2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

This posting is provided AS-IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

Friday, October 22, 2010 11:40 PM
  •  

Hello,

I agree with the above posts. It sound like maybe there is a packet filter rule that is not allowing it. Do a telnet on port 445 from each LAN to the other LAN's server and check each router's packet filter rules.

Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS
    Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL
    Visit our Knowledgebase Sharepoint Site

Saturday, October 23, 2010 1:36 AM