none
Using Universe Desing Tool COM SDK with Powershell RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm working on some scripts that are using BO RESTfull SDK to retrieve some information from BO Servers. Unfortunately not whole functionality is available with them. That's why I would like to use 'old' Universe Design Toll COM SDK with powershell.

When I'm opening Exce and then Visual Basic editor in references there are available plenty of Business Objects libraries. I wanted to use some of them in Powershell unfortunately I'm not able to make it working (the one I was trying to use is BusinessObjects Designer 14.0 Object Library).

I was trying to load that library in Powershell but it doesn't work:

[CODE]

PS C:\Windows\system32> [Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFrom("C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\Designer.dll")

Exception calling "LoadFrom" with "1" argument(s): "Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP BusinessObjects Enterprise XI 4.0\win32_x86\Designer.dll' or one of its dependencies. The module was expected to contain an assembly manifest."

At line:1 char:1

+ [Reflection.Assembly]::LoadFrom("C:\Program Files (x86)\SAP BusinessObjects\SAP  ...

+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [], MethodInvocationException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : BadImageFormatException[/CODE]

I was trying with Designer.exe instead of Designer.dll but there was the same error.

Why library is available is available in VBA but I'm not able to use it in Powershell. I thought with COM libraries it should work in any environment as it is distributed with OS.

Many thanks and regards

Monday, July 28, 2014 2:20 PM

Answers

• Most COM libraries of this type are no scriptable.  They are designed to be used either in compiled programs with early binding or in vendor tools only. Many have special and undocumented load requirements. Only the vendor can help you with this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by Maciej Musial Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:25 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 8:27 PM

All replies

• This is not a support forum for third party libraries.

You will need to request help from the vendor.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Monday, July 28, 2014 4:26 PM
  • Most COM libraries of this type are no scriptable.  They are designed to be used either in compiled programs with early binding or in vendor tools only. Many have special and undocumented load requirements. Only the vendor can help you with this.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Marked as answer by Maciej Musial Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:25 AM
    Monday, July 28, 2014 8:27 PM
  • Many thanks for explanation.
    Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:30 AM
  • Many thanks for explanation.

You are welcome.  Contact the vendor for specific info.  There may be a way but you will need more info about the library.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Tuesday, July 29, 2014 5:32 AM