Team Tasks RRS feed

• Question

• In PS 07, I am using the Team Tasks feature.  I create a task assign it to the team, 'Self-Assign' the task to myelf in MyTasks, post hours to it, update the plan which shows those actuals, all good.

Now I want to 'Re-assign' it back out to the Team so someone else can put some work to the task.  Re-assigning it in My Tasks works, and when I open the plan back up it prompts to me to update as there have been changes posted, but the task is still assigned only to me and not the Team?  How do I get the Team back as the assigned resource so it is then available to others to pick up and post time to?

John F. DiFelice
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 2:41 PM

Answers

• Hello JohnProjectPM

Not sure that you can pass it back and forth.  I think all you need to do is have the project manager assign other team resources to the task.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:16 PM

All replies

• Hello JohnProjectPM

Not sure that you can pass it back and forth.  I think all you need to do is have the project manager assign other team resources to the task.

Cheers

Michael Wharton, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    www.WhartonComputer.com
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 6:16 PM
  • I think you are correct.  Once one team member takes the task - no other members can get it and post work to it.  You can have the PM go into the project plan and 'reassign' the task back to the team.  The hours posted by the first resource are retained.

I think you may be able to reassign the task IF you are the task owner, but we do not have it configured that way - nor do we think we want to.

John F. DiFelice
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 7:40 PM
  • I did confirm it can not be passed back and forth by default.  However, if the PM changes the assignment owner to the individual team member assigned to the task, that team member can reassign the task back to the team.

The 'team' then shows (after the PM accepts changes and updates the plan) back up as a Resource on the task, along with the individual who first accepted it.  Now, other team members can take the task and assign it to themselves.

I believe this 'workaround' has been addressed in 2010 and multiple team members can assign themsevles to team tasks.

John F. DiFelice
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 1:48 PM