Somehow my documents in WORD is set to READ ONLY RRS feed

• Question

• How can I change my documents from Read Only  back to Printable?  All of them come up to Read Only and I don't know why.  I can't print my new documents.
    Thursday, June 21, 2018 12:49 AM

All replies

• That is liable to happen if you're using Office 365 and your subscription has expired. Read-only documents are not ordinarily non-printable.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thursday, June 21, 2018 3:14 AM
  • Hello Brenda Fay,

This forum(Word for Developers) is for development issues related to Word Object Model and your problem is more related to Word product feature, so I would move this thread into Word IT Pro Discussions.
    Thanks for your understanding.
    Best Regards,
    Terry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, June 21, 2018 7:36 AM
  • Hi,

If you are downloading any Microsoft Word document from the Internet (e.g., an email attachment or a file from a website) will have read-only protection assigned to it whenever you open it and might that be the issue in printing the file. You can disable this protection when first opening the document. 

Read how to remove the read only status on word documents: https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-the-%27Read-Only%27-Status-on-MS-Word-Documents

Or there could be a case if it occurs with files saving on your system.
    You are using Office 365?? Check its subscription, it must have expired.

Regards,
    Jack

Thursday, June 21, 2018 1:58 PM
  • Hi Brenda,

Do you mean all of the documents even if the new created ones are read only and not printable?
    Is there any detailed error message when you trying to print the files?

Please check if the problem also affects other applications like Excel or PowerPoint. If yes, refer to the reply of Paul and verify whether your Office application is activated. 

If this is a file related issue and the file does not contain any privacy information, you may share the document via OneDrive or send it to us via:

GBSD TN Office Information Collection ibsofc@microsoft.com

We would open your file in our test environment. Please involve the thread URL in the email message for easy follow-up :)

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, June 22, 2018 2:30 AM