none
Steady State RRS feed

• Question

•     I have about 15 computers that I want to get started on Microsoft Steady State and I have never used it before, so I need to know if there is a way to migrate the settings from one PC to another without having to in put the same settings on each one. I was hoping I could set one up and install it on each PC then inport the settings to each one. We are using Vista.

Thanks .

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:36 AM

Answers

All replies

• You can export profile information from one computer to a file, then import - but we have found this to be problematic.  The actual export/import is easy; but more than once we have had problems with the cloned profiles.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:43 AM
  • What would the best way to do it. or what have you done.
     Thanks for your help!
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 1:53 AM
  • Other than inputting the settings on each machine (potentially forgetting a setting here and there), the only other option I can see is to back up one pc to an image and clone it back to each of the remaining 14 machines. There are plenty of imaging tools out there, Ghost, Shadowprotect, Image for Windows etc....... Even Dell has a service, ImageDirect.

HTH

Philip
    Jealousy is not proof of love, nor proof of emotional immaturity
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 8:05 PM
  • If you want to deploy Windows with Windows SteadyState, you can refer to the following thread:

Successful Cloning Strategy - Zero Touch Installation
    http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/windowssteadystate/thread/85c1a249-e530-4592-b3ba-cd9bc27e1b5c/

Hope this helps!

Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Wednesday, January 20, 2010 3:12 AM