WORD 2010 REMOVE BREAKS WITHOUT LOOSING HEADERS/FOOTERS FOR TEMPLATES RRS feed

• Question

• On a much older version of Word, I created a fax template that allowed me to create the first page which included the headers/footers and all the page setup info including company logos then put a break in to move the next page which I set up with different margins sizes/header and footer minus the logo. I then backspaced to only reveal the first page - saved as a template for staff to create their fax. If the fax was only 1 page long it only showed the 1st page header/footer information. IF they continued to type and went over to page 2 the header/footer and page set up information which I initially set up in the template would automatically show for page 2 onwards. So page 1 and 2 would look different but the user did not have to do anything but just continue typing.

Now working in Word 2010 it seems this isn't able to happen. It doesn't allow me to set it up in this manner. If I leave the 2nd page, staff are deleting the 2nd page and the header/footer and all other information changes. So I am at a loss to work out how to make this easy for non-regular users of word without physically walking around to each person to fix their document or have them send me the document to fix.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013 6:33 AM

Answers

• On the first page, press Ctrl+Enter to insert a page break. You're now on page 2. (Do *not* insert a section break!)

On the Insert tab of the ribbon, click Header > Edit Header.

This automatically activates the Design tab of the ribbon, under Header & Footer Tools.

In the Options group of this tab, tick the check box "Different First Page".

You can now set the header, footer, page margins etc. for the second page differently from those on the first page.

When you're done, click Close Header and Footer, or double-click in the body of the document.

You can now delete the page break, so that the document has one page again.

When users enter enough text to start a second page, this will automatically use the settings that you applied, even though page 2 was deleted temporarily.

Regards, Hans Vogelaar (http://www.eileenslounge.com)

• Marked as answer by TylorWang Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:27 AM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:15 AM

All replies

• On the first page, press Ctrl+Enter to insert a page break. You're now on page 2. (Do *not* insert a section break!)

On the Insert tab of the ribbon, click Header > Edit Header.

This automatically activates the Design tab of the ribbon, under Header & Footer Tools.

In the Options group of this tab, tick the check box "Different First Page".

You can now set the header, footer, page margins etc. for the second page differently from those on the first page.

When you're done, click Close Header and Footer, or double-click in the body of the document.

You can now delete the page break, so that the document has one page again.

When users enter enough text to start a second page, this will automatically use the settings that you applied, even though page 2 was deleted temporarily.

• Marked as answer by TylorWang Wednesday, December 11, 2013 9:27 AM
    Tuesday, December 3, 2013 7:15 AM
  • Checking different first page does NOT allow for different page margins. That is a section property and is only set using a section break. However, the continuation header can be set with different indents which is probably what someone would want anyway.

Different page margins can be simulated with empty no-line text boxes in a header/footer if needed.

This can be accomplished without the page break by setting up the header/footer on the first page the way you want the continuation header/footer to appear and then checking "different first page." The header/footer prepared on the first page then becomes the continuation header/footer which is never seen until there is a second page.

Sections / Headers and Footers in Microsoft Word 2007-2013

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 2:13 PM
  • You're correct (of course). One can set different indents for the first page header/footer and the header/footer for subsequent pages.

Wednesday, December 4, 2013 5:17 PM